Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Which Apollonia?  (Read 903 times)

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
Which Apollonia?
« on: August 23, 2020, 11:53:18 pm »
I recently purchased the first coin below as a coin from Apollonia Pontica and have given it the description:

Bronze Chalkous
2.70 gm, 13 mm
Obv.: Laureate head of Apollo to right with hair in a bun and decorative ribbon.
Rev. Tripod with cauldron on top AΠOΛΛΩ-ΝIATΩN to either side

however, I found no such coin in my standard references from Apollonia Pontica. I did find a similar coin which was listed as from Apollonia, Illyria, which I have pictured as the second coin below (at 2.05 g).  And then the third coin I found listed in SNG Ashmolean as from Apollonia, Mysia, (at 13 mm, 1,72 g).

Any ideas as to the correct Apollonia?

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Which Apollonia?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 04:09:52 am »
Because there have been quite a lot of Apollonias in the ancient world, the attributions of some of the respective coins have been difficult and changed over time  :-\.

The most recent attribution of this Apollo tripod type to my knowledge is Apollonia Salbake in Caria: http://hno.huma-num.fr/browse?idType=1562

Unfortunately I didn't find any literature with arguments for this  :(.

Regards

Altamura

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 05:37:59 am »
Thanks for the additional information - I'll add Apollonia Salbake to my list.  :)

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 07:21:22 pm »
Apollonia in Illyria was a Doric foundation, and the Doric dialect long survived there, so the ethnic always ended TAN rather than the more common T :Greek_Omega:N.  So you coin is not from the Illyian Apollonia--I too suggest the Carian Apollonia.

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 07:49:10 pm »
Yes, that is what I was thinking having read that recently on someone's excellent Apollonia, Illyria, webpage. Here is an updated photo comparison.   My Apollo's style is a little different than the others, looking more like Apollonia Pontica,  but I'm leaning towards Caria at this point. 

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 08:56:25 pm »
I searched the shop to see how I had attributed the type, but I have never had one.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 12:05:37 am »
Thanks  everyone for the help!  I'll go with Caria.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity