Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Little help please  (Read 746 times)

Daniel L3

Little help please
« on: August 21, 2020, 12:02:13 pm »
Wish I had a better pic but I do not... I am willing to do the work but having a hard time with where to begin, I suspect Early Roman? And I could be way off... new at this...
Thank you in advance

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
Re: Little help please
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 05:51:13 pm »
Certainly not Roman. Looks Victorian to me with it's gothic script and ceremonial belt. Possibly some sort of token. A picture of the reverse and better pictures generally plus a size would help.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 08:35:28 am »
A first glance, it looks like a button.  Size?  Reverse?  With better picture we might be able to read the lettering?  What can you make out of the lettering?

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 12:47:59 pm »
The image is of the "Order of the Garter" and the lettering on the garter reads "HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE". The Order of the Garter is an order of chivalry founded by King Edward III of England in 1348 and still awarded by the monarch today. It is the order of knighthood in the British honours system.

That said, I haven't a clue what it is but I very much doubt that it is a coin. The Gothic lettering below the Knight's helmet might resolve it but my ancient eyes just can't make it out. Turn the image anti-clockwise 90º for the right way up.

Alex

All coins are guaranteed for eternity