Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Aurelian - the Phases of RIC 244  (Read 450 times)

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
Aurelian - the Phases of RIC 244
« on: August 08, 2020, 02:06:32 am »
I have a question on this common Aurelian coin. It's easy enough to attribute (or maybe not).

With all coins, I like to check the most recent references to have the most accurate and complete attribution.
If you look up this coin on the MER-RIC program (http://www.ric.mom.fr/en/home), three results are returned. All exactly the same and attributed to the old RIC 244 number and Issue 7 but with separate updated temporary numbers. The difference between the results is only the "Phase." Seemingly identical coins are listed in the three results as Phase 1, 2 and 3.

My question to anyone who may know Aurelian coins to this level of detail is... how can you tell between the different phases? The coins look identical, with identical bust types, inscriptions and officina marks. The weights for examples across the phases are all over the place. How can you tell the difference between the phases?

Aurelian
Siscia mint, 4th officina. 7th emission, AD 274.
Ob: IMP C AVRELIANVS AVG - Radiate and cuirassed bust right
R: CONCORDIA MILITVM - Emperor standing right, clasping hands with Concordia standing left; Q*.
RIC V 244

Thanks!

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Re: Aurelian - the Phases of RIC 244
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 04:41:19 am »
Hi,
In her BNF catalogue of the coins Aurelian to Florian Estiot explains her rationale of the phases. It boils down to bust size and  style.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 09:40:55 am »
For those who can't read french, here is a quick free-hand translation on Estiot’s text on the 7th emission.

"Like the 6th emission, 80% of the coinage has the reverse legend CONCORDIA MILITVM, but this type still competes with the solar reverses ORIENS AVG and SOLI INVICTO throughout the emission.  The obverse legend changes to IMP C AVRELIANVS AVG.  There are three phases in the 7th emission.

The first phase has obverse images in reduced size with similar physiognomy to the portraits of the 6th emission (pl.26, # 829-832).  Only four officina were working.  Thus, despite the introduction of a new obverse legend, this was an extension of the previous emission.   In the Venera hoard, solar reverse only represent 6%.

The second phase, the most common by far, has very small busts, with wide shoulders, and a miniscule face (pl.26, # 835-856).  Three extra officina were opened, the 5th and 6th produced less than the first four, while the 7th only produced a small amount.  The solar reverses constituted 11% of the Venera hoard.  There was a brief issue of gold paralleling this phase.

The third phase introduced a bust style which was used until the end of [Aurelian’s] reign.  Two types of cuirass co-existed: the left shoulder sometimes has a buckle [loop?] that looks like a fold of a paludamentum [cloak]; or sometime has a shoulder with tufts.  Without a doubt, we can detect the hands of two engravers who continue to work through the reigns of Tacitus and Florian until 277, when Probus brought to Siscia the engravers from Cyzicus and Serdica.  The 7th officina was closed.  The 5th and 6th worked at levels very close to those of the first four.  The solar reverses make up 52% of the Venera hoard."

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 04:23:06 pm »
Thank you so much for your responses. This is very helpful!

Now I’ll just need to sift through some examples and see if I can spot some of these style differences and compare them to my coin.

Thank you again!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity