Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help identifying bronze 'silvered' denarius  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Hamish C

• Auxiliary
Help identifying bronze 'silvered' denarius
« on: July 08, 2020, 07:10:07 pm »
Hello all,

I'm new to collecting roman coins, and have taken a fancy to republic denarius ones.

I recently purchased a roman republic denarius from germany. It was said to have been in the previous owners family for 50 years. While waiting for it to arrive I suddenly read the fine print and realized it was actually some sort of imitation, fourre or something... "Originally bronze"

Im aware of the real versions of this coin and such, but honestly i'm stumped by what this is. I've searched high and low attempting to find a similar coin of the same apparent material but have had no luck. It weights in at 3.45 grams. and its described as a Petillius Capitolinus denarius, bronze, originally silvered.

The coin itself has a warm tone, almost yellow hued. its very finely detailed. Im hoping someone can share some light on what they might think it accurately is. And if i could also ask what this might be worth. Although I am fairly sure i've overpaid.

Thanks for any help...

Cheers,
Hamish

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Help identifying bronze 'silvered' denarius
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 10:03:32 pm »
It has all the tells of it being a modern cast, it isn't ancient.  Soft features, no flow lines or wear patterns.  It's modern.  Value - $0.

Tom
Tom Mullally

Classical Numismatic Group

Offline Hamish C

• Auxiliary
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 11:46:13 pm »
ah gee, makes me sad! but ok.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 08:40:26 am »
For genuine coins, click the Shop button above.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 06:39:07 pm »
I can't make out all the words on the flip, but I think I see "ersatz" in a phrase, so a German seller would have known it was fake.  There is no "bronze Republic denarius", so calling the object a "denarius" and putting "bronze" in the fine print is fraud.    It's like saying "Swiss watch"... footnote "with chinese parts"

If you are interested in these coins, look at Forum's selection of Republic denarii and other dealers with real online presence and real guarantees with membership in professional societies.  And look at lots of coins of the type you are interested in before buying.  You can see many in the Members Galleries,  and look at worn ones in particular.  Those will help you understand when you see coins that are genuine and higher condition.
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline antoninus1

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2020, 03:43:00 am »
I found the seller from whom you bought this piece on Ebay. All the "coins" he offers currently are fake. In his descriptions he uses broken German in order to pretend he has no clue about what he is selling. In addition he purports that it has been in the family for decades, that he inherited it and he offers a return if not satisfied. That means if someone realizes that he bought a fake he takes the coin back to avoid a negative feedback.
There are some more of exactly this kind of dealer on German ebay, unfortunately.
I think you have a good chance to return the coin a get you money back as these folks try to avoid trouble and negative feedback.

I just saw that some bought a portrait denarius of Charlemagne for 118 Euros and gave him a positive feedback. I donĀ“t understand... ???

I think the seller is a candidate for the NFSL.

Offline dwarf

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2020, 04:23:18 am »
Problem is - Hamish already left a positive feedback
This seller sold 74 fake coins since May for around 5.700 Euro - including a Brutus Eid Mar for 161 Euro
We (the german forum) are very sure that he is working for years under different names (eg botorka333, being on the NFL)

Everybody wishing a peaceful Sunday
Klaus

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2020, 07:33:50 am »
Nomination, please.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline dwarf

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2020, 07:51:39 am »
Sorry for my ignorance !

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2020, 08:26:43 am »
HOW TO NOMINATE A SELLER FOR THE NOTORIOUS FAKE SELLERS LIST!

Step 3)  The nomination post or thread should have the subject, "Nomination NFSL insert eBay username" or "Nomination of insert eBay username as a Notorious Fake Seller." The post should include the username and a link to the sellers' item list on eBay.  
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity