Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Small silver coins ID??  (Read 1001 times)

Offline Dorchestercoins

• Legionary
Small silver coins ID??
« on: July 02, 2020, 11:35:45 pm »
Here's first of two. I got them when I bought a small lot. Any clues to help me to find and ID and if it's look copy or original? This one have a diameter of 13.56 mm by 14.4 mm  and weight 0.7gr.

Thanks!

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Re: Small silver coins ID??
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 12:59:44 am »
Both of your coins are examples of Russian "wire money".   I believe the denomination with the horseman holding a spear is a kopek.  If he was brandishing a sword, it would usually be a denga.

I don't have my references available at the moment to interpret the Cyrillic lettering on the reverse, which would spell out the rulers' names.

If you want to give it a shot on your own, here's a pretty good website to try:    http://www.metaldetectingworld.com/metal_detect_hammered_wire_coins.shtml

Craig

Offline Ruslan L

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 03:01:39 pm »
Here, similarly, Ivan the terrible's kopeck.

Offline Ruslan L

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 03:31:07 pm »
Coin number KG 77 (КГ 77), the coin was issued in the period from 1547-1584, that is, during the tsarist period of the reign of Ivan the Terrible, the coin was issued in Novgorod.

Offline Ruslan L

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 03:50:59 pm »
Both of your coins are examples of Russian "wire money".   I believe the denomination with the horseman holding a spear is a kopek.  If he was brandishing a sword, it would usually be a denga.

I don't have my references available at the moment to interpret the Cyrillic lettering on the reverse, which would spell out the rulers' names.

If you want to give it a shot on your own, here's a pretty good website to try:    http://www.metaldetectingworld.com/metal_detect_hammered_wire_coins.shtml

Craig
There is an exception. There are so-called "sword denga", which shows a rider with a sword, but they are kopecks. The main difference is the presence of points around the rider.

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 04:22:25 pm »
I knew there were exceptions to the sword = denga statement, but "usually" is pretty close.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity