Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: no idea  (Read 434 times)

Offline palves

• Consul
no idea
« on: June 30, 2020, 11:17:40 am »
I saw this coin in a group and I have no idea of what this is. the other side is clean.

Any help?

thanks a million

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: no idea
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 11:54:53 am »
Dear Palves and Board,

It looks a bit like an "irregular" Northumbrian styca with a garbled obverse legend, struck during the final phase of the kingdom.  But I suppose a Visigoth issue could be another possibility, supported by the arid looking patina.  A few metrics and a general find spot will help to tell more.

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan   

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 10:16:40 pm »
Please read the rules.  We can do more with full information--metal, size, weight if possible--and even if you see nothing on the other side, a more experienced eye might see a slight trace of something.

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 03:51:43 am »
It is possible the head of the ring   ???

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity