Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Countermarks in Nikopolis ad Istrum  (Read 966 times)

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Countermarks in Nikopolis ad Istrum
« on: June 28, 2020, 08:52:26 am »
Dear friends of Nikopolis!

Yesterday I have won this coin:

Gordian III, AD 238-244
AE 28, 12.56g
struck under governor Sabinius Modestus
obv. AVT K M ANT G-ORDIANOC [AVG]
       Bust, draped and cuirassed, seen from behind, laureate, r.
       Under chin countermark Δ in circular incus (Howgego 782)
rev. [VP CA]B MODECTOV NIKOPOLEITWN PROC IC / [T]RON (WN and PR ligate)
      Eagle with open wings on thunderbolt standing frontal, head with wreath in beak turned r.
ref. (for the underlying coin only:)
      a) AMNG I/1, 2103 (2 ex., Neapel, Sofia)
      b) Varbanov 4193
      c) Hristova-Hoeft-Jekov (2020) No. 8.36.1.12 (same dies).
F+, brown patina

Usually the coins with the countermark Δ on one side carry on the other side the countermark NIKO (Howgego 553). This is the first coin I know that carries only Δ..

The fact that here the counterstamp was applied to a coin which is not yet worn out speaks for Howogego's assumption that "it may be that the coins were not worn when they were countermarked, but that the countermark allowed the coins to circulate until they were worn. Since the type of a countermark was recessed into the coin it tremained visile lomg after the original type of the coin had been worn flat." (Howgego, p.11)

Best regards

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Countermarks in Nikopolis ad Istrum
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 11:15:46 am »
I've yet to get my hands on a copy of Howgego so forgive my ignorance.  But I though that marks like this  :Greek_Delta: indicated a re-tariffing, or assertion of tariff, of 4 assaria?

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Pekka K

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 11:53:12 am »

Maybe Howgego 789, that was added in Bithynia on coins of other cities.

Pekka K

Offline rennrad12020

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 03:13:05 pm »
   Howego writes at 781 that due to the paucity of evidence he would treat each of these delta countermarks as individual listings.  It seems to make sense that coins that were not heavily worn were countermarked to assign a value if the issuing city was different than the city where the countermark was applied.   Hence coins issued from NadI that exhibit the delta and NIKO (meaning that the 2 countermarks were applied to assign a value and demonstrate whose authority certified this value) are worn to the point of approaching slugs.  These two countermarks were applied to other worn coins from neighboring cities, as we have seen in the past, if they were very worn.  The delta on Jochen's coin above suggests to me that it was applied by a different city to certify the value at 4 assaria.  Hard to tell where.  Probably in Thrace but I wouldn't rule out Asia Minor.  I have an example from Pautalia in my collection as well as one from Hadrianopolis; both Severan.  I attached the one from Pautalia; I can't find an image of the Hadrianopolis.  Jochen's coin is interesting because it is from NadI and it can be dated post Gordian III.  The punch used seems to be round and not triangular.  Cool coin Jochen!

JPW

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 08:57:51 am »
Dear Friends!

Thank you for sharing your opinions. Today I got a message from Prof. Jekov where he writes: "Please accept a possible conspiracy theory about Addenda 8 #004. The countermark is Odessos, Thrace."

That would match the opinion of JPW.

Best regards

All coins are guaranteed for eternity