Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: special variant of Antoninus Pius RIC 179  (Read 533 times)

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
special variant of Antoninus Pius RIC 179
« on: June 26, 2020, 09:45:01 am »
I just bought this rarity of which only a handful are known: ANTONINVS AVG - PIVS PP TR P XII laureate bust with aegis on breast left / COS - IIII  Fortuna standing left, holding rudder on globe and cornucopiae.
The commonest obverse type is laureate head right, but also described is laureate head left with drapery on far shoulder, but I doubt the description as many people, unfamiliar with an aegis, describe it as drapery. All specimen I have seen are from the same obverse die with a crokked 'G'  and a short and then a long 'I' of XII. The reverse sometimes shows a globe under the rudder, but not always.
Hope you like number 1345

Frans

Offline FlaviusDomitianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
Re: special variant of Antoninus Pius RIC 179
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 10:56:55 am »
Nice rarity, congrats

Alberto

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 11:14:23 am »
Mine, acquired from VAuction 217, 4 Dec. 2008, lot 111, is from that same obv. die, without globe on reverse.

Strack pl. II, 193: same obv. die, globe on rev., but different rev. die than yours.
Curtis Clay

Offline antoninus1

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 08:55:26 am »
Here is mine for comparison, acquired 1997. I think the two I of XII are of equal length.

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 03:56:49 pm »
Thank you for sharing your specimen. The reverse is clearly different; the obverse has indeed two equal bars of XII, but the G looks very similar and the position of the 'O' too. One of the ribbons is attached to the 'X'  on all coins similarly. Dies do change slightly when in use, so the short 'I'  could be the result of cloggng silver in the die.
Thanks again and congrats on a nice clear rare coin!

Frans

All coins are guaranteed for eternity