Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: When did the patriarchal cross first appear on a coin?  (Read 1097 times)

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
When did the patriarchal cross first appear on a coin?
« on: June 17, 2020, 08:15:33 pm »
The double-bar patriarchal cross was a regular feature on the coinage during the middle Byzantine period.  But when did this symbol first appear on the coins?

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Let us start the hunt with Artavasdus in 742 and see how much earlier we can reach.

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Then there's Theodosius III in 717 . . .

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
And now Justinian II (second reign), taking us back as early as 705, the beginning of the eighth century.  

Anything earlier than this?

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
Wiki has a page on the cross

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriarchal_cross

It tells when its usage was spread to other countries but not its beginning. I checked Grierson and the first one Michael II 820AD. You have that beat.

This link also has the different Varity of crosses.  There are many.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_cross_variants

Why did you ask the question?

Simon
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Simon, thanks for your reply.  I raised the question because I have stumbled across a couple of oddities from the sixth century, a solidus of Justinian and a solidus of Maurice.  Both appear to have an extra bar on the cross.  For Maurice it is on the globus cruciger on the obverse.  For Justinian it is on the staff on the reverse.  Both coins were sold without any note of anything unusual.  It made me wonder whether this was intentional or an inadvertent die cutters error.  For the Maurice coin, perhaps there was damage to the die, and the die was recut to add the additional bar?  Note the other flan defects in the field.   I did not find any seventh century coins with a double barred cross.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity