Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: BD on billon Ant? Suggestions welcomed  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
BD on billon Ant? Suggestions welcomed
« on: June 16, 2020, 10:04:28 pm »
Hello all: Thought I had a decent find in an uncleaned bronze lot. This coin was caked with dirt and encrustations, showing no detail at all when I started. I believe it is a billon Ant of Ota Sev, 23 mm, 3.09g. Concordia rev. RIC 126. I don’t see many empress coins in uncleaned lots, certainly not Ants, or even many coins at all going back to 246-248 AD. Was pretty psyched until I encountered these rust looking spots. Is this BD, or some other infliction that will harm the metal going forward? Or is it just a by product of the corrosion process that is inert/harmless ? I can mechanically clean through it to good metal as shown in the pics. I’d welcome info about what this is and how to treat it.
Ken

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: BD on billon Ant? Suggestions welcomed
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 07:41:00 am »
Probably NOT BD.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: BD on billon Ant? Suggestions welcomed
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 11:58:29 am »
Lovely find! Just keep a close eye on it in the future to make sure nothing develops.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity