Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Decius from Tarsus with Hermes and godess reverse?  (Read 1034 times)

Offline Thilo

• Consul
Decius from Tarsus with Hermes and godess reverse?
« on: June 07, 2020, 07:14:27 am »
Dear all,

another uncommon coin, obviously from Tarsus, crossed my way and I could not find any citation for it.

AE 34, 18.41 grm.

Obv: Radiate, draped and cuirrassed bust right, AVT KE MEC DEKIOC TRAIANOC EV EV SE P-P

Rv: Goddess (?) standing left, head right with caducaeus and Hermes (?) standing right, head left with caducaeus, TA[RCOV M]HTROPOLEWS […], indeed, there seems to be more legend after MHTROPOLEWS, potentially beginning with E or C and ending with WN which seems quite uncommon. A M K G B in field, as common for Tarsus.

I could not find this reverse type nor any ideas on the missing reverse legend part. The only thing that looks similar is an obviously unpublished Gallienus coin (https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=2832157) on which the positions of goddess (?) and Hermes seem to have switched.

Any help, citations, ideas on the incomplete legend part at the end of the reverse legend, ideas on the "goddess" are highly appreciated.

Thank you!

Thilo

Offline Thilo

• Consul
Re: Decius from Tarsus with Hermes and godess reverse?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 02:05:58 pm »
OK, some review of Barbara Burrell's Neokoroi, some research especially on the Gallienus coin as well as on Tarsian Valerian coins make me think that the reverse legend could be TARCOV MHTROPOLEWS EKIXIRIAI OLYMPIA or TARCOV MHTROPOLEWS EKIXIRIAI B OLYMPIA. I can read the EKI after MHTROPOLEWS and a PIA at the end.

The Gallienus coin could be read  EKIXIRIAI  G OLYMPIA or EKIXIRIA GG OLYMPIA, and the G may refer to Tarsus's third neokoria, which only came under Valerian and Gallienus. Thus, as this is a Decius there is a chance that there is a B between the EKIXIRIA and the OLYMPIA.

If somebody has another or further idea, any help is appreciated.

Thilo

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Decius from Tarsus with Hermes and goddess reverse?
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 10:24:54 pm »
EKIXIPIA is not a word I can recall ever seeing before on a Roman provincial coin. Not surprising, first since my chief interest for most of my collecting life was Roman imperials not provincials, and second because the first scholar to correctly decipher and explain this word on a number of provincials of Valerian and Gallienus at Tarsus was Ruprecht Ziegler in his book Städtisches Prestige und kaiserliche Politik: Studien zum Festwesen in Ostkilikien im 2. und 3. Jahrhundert n. Chr., 1985, pp. 29-31.

EKIXIPIA, Ziegler argues, must be a late antique spelling of the classical Greek word εκεχειρια, defined thus in my Greek dictionary: "a holding of hands, a cessation of hostilities, armistice." In particular, the word applied to the truce that was declared to allow competitors and spectators to travel to and from and participate safely in the Olympics and other Greek games. Under the Roman empire, since safe travel and participation were already guaranteed by the government, the sense of the word changed and it came mainly to mean the cessation of official activities, especially trials, during the games. The word is found with this sense in a number of inscriptions relating to games under the empire, but Ziegler was the first to find it on Tarsus coins of Valerian and Gallienus. On coins of Trajan Decius at Tarsus the word seems to be new: unknown to Ziegler, and not in RPC IX.I of 2016. Ziegler's guess at the identity of the two figures in your reverse type, which he knew on coins of both Valerian and Gallienus: the female figure might be Eirene (Pax) or Εκεχειρια herself, the male figure might be a herald whose duty was to travel and announce the games.

The Γ after EKIXIPIAI on the Gallienus coin, incidentally, is I think just the second  Γ of AMKΓΓ, because no space could be found for that letter in the right field.
Curtis Clay

Offline Thilo

• Consul
Re: Decius from Tarsus with Hermes and godess reverse?
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 05:30:23 pm »
Dear Curtis,

thank you so much for taking the time and for your extremely helpful input. Indeed, Ziegler's interpretation of the two persons depicted is very convincing (and I had forgotten that the book is actually on my shelf, of which your post luckily reminded me).

Thank you once more and best regards

Thilo

All coins are guaranteed for eternity