Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: help for artificial patina  (Read 2097 times)

Offline NIKSOL

• Consul
help for artificial patina
« on: April 24, 2020, 02:01:44 pm »
I would like you to tell me if it is better to take soil - mud and smear the coins so that they are not monotonous and there is contrast and they are beautiful. there is a problem, it will cause damage ..
here is a coin of Constantine IX

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: help for artificial patina
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 02:08:51 pm »
I am sorry, but I do not understand what you are asking.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Bill W4

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 04:02:12 pm »
Are these before and after cleaning pictures?  If so, better cleaned I think.
I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 04:07:57 pm »
I think he is adding "dirt" to make a sand "patina" and asking if it will damage the coin

Offline NIKSOL

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 02:49:20 am »
I think he is adding "dirt" to make a sand "patina" and asking if it will damage the coin

yes i write this !!!

maybe coins are more beautiful that way

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2020, 09:46:29 am »
This is done by some unscrupulous dealers.

They may look nicer but there are at least two problems.

First, if it is done and a buyer is not told then it is fraud.  Any buyer needs to be told if the product has been artificially altered.  That will tend to lower the value too.

Second, whatever adhesive is used is likely to damage the coin.  Just plain mud won't stick.  So people who do this add glue.  No glue that will stick to metal is safe for the metal long term.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline NIKSOL

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 11:01:23 am »
This is done by some unscrupulous dealers.

They may look nicer but there are at least two problems.

First, if it is done and a buyer is not told then it is fraud.  Any buyer needs to be told if the product has been artificially altered.  That will tend to lower the value too.

Second, whatever adhesive is used is likely to damage the coin.  Just plain mud won't stick.  So people who do this add glue.  No glue that will stick to metal is safe for the metal long term.

SC

I do not sell coins. I will only use sand-clay over the patina without glue

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2020, 11:37:29 pm »
If I'm following this correctly, you took a coin that had a beautiful desert patina (pictures 1 and 2) formed over the last 900+ years and removed that patina (pictures 3 and 4), and now you want to reapply a fake patina using mud or dirt?

Offline wileyc

• Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 12:43:05 am »
I think the original question was just if it looks better to put mud/sand on it for contrast.

Seems to me the least I do to a coin the better it is for however owns it next. I might clean them a little........., but never added anything. As Joe points out that's fraud if sold. But to me a bigger ethical issue is just messing/damaging an ancient coin. I read it once here I think that we are just caretakers of these pieces of history. That rings of truth to me.

That being said I am sure I have...most coins I have have been cleaned to some degree.

CW

Offline NIKSOL

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2020, 12:04:33 pm »
I think the original question was just if it looks better to put mud/sand on it for contrast.

Seems to me the least I do to a coin the better it is for however owns it next. I might clean them a little........., but never added anything. As Joe points out that's fraud if sold. But to me a bigger ethical issue is just messing/damaging an ancient coin. I read it once here I think that we are just caretakers of these pieces of history. That rings of truth to me.

That being said I am sure I have...most coins I have have been cleaned to some degree.

CW

Yes so! mud over the patina. it's bad for the coin;

All coins are guaranteed for eternity