Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Phocas? Dodecanummium of Alexandria  (Read 973 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Phocas? Dodecanummium of Alexandria
« on: April 14, 2020, 05:37:29 am »
Hi, all.  I could use some help with this unusual 12 nummi coin from Caesarea Maritima.  I think it is Phocas but the obverse is somewhere between DOC 105 (bearded, facing bust, with crown and consular robes, no inscription), and DOC 106 (profile bust, beardless, diademed, wearing cuirass and paludamentum, unintelligible inscription).  To me, it looks like he is wearing a crown and a beard, though the beard could be the result of corrosion on the coin or die wear.  I searched the Forum board with the terms Phocas Alexandria, and came up with a number of very interesting discussions, including the fact that many 12 nummi coins of Alexandria are found near Caesarea, but so far nothing exactly like this one.  Jane DeRose Evans published a catalog of coins from the Joint Expedition to Caesarea M. that included a coin (2504) of similar size and weight with a bearded profile bust that she attributed to Phocas as DOC 105var. but there is no photo of the coin coin to compare with and no further description.  Any ideas or opinions about the ID of this coin or the features I think I see would be much appreciated.  I apologize for the confusing number of questions!  Thanks, V-drome

BCC IC7
Byzantine Period - Caesarea Maritima
Phocas 602-610CE.  AE Dodecanummium  
12 Nummi  Alexandria Mint
Obv: VIIO... Unintelligible inscription.
Bearded bust right, wearing crown? and
consular robes?
Rev: I B   Between, cross.
14.5mm. 2.35gm. Axis:300
Possible references: DOC 105var. (Profile bust,
inscription, no steps)... or
DOC 106var. SB 679var. (Crowned?, bearded?)

(click for larger pic)

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Phocas? Dodecanummium of Alexandria
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 09:03:16 am »
Arab-Byzantine from somewhere other than Alexandria??

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Re: Phocas? Dodecanummium of Alexandria
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 07:45:54 pm »
Thank you, Shawn.  I had not thought of that and will look in that direction. 

Best regards, Jimi

All coins are guaranteed for eternity