Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Basic Question about starting a new collection.  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
Basic Question about starting a new collection.
« on: April 10, 2020, 10:03:36 pm »
I have a basic question , I hope some on the board can assist.

I am thinking of starting a new collection of Greek coinage, like most of my collections in the past I want to set an achievable goal.
I am attracted to the coinage of the Seleucid Empire.

31 Rulers

Question 1, what edition of Sear do I want ? Vol I Europe , Volume II Africa, what volume do I want for this Syrian empire?

Right now I am looking at collecting Tetradrachm's what other books for reference are recommended?

My job in life is working with art, I have completed my Byzantine collection so this time I am thinking about the art , the beauty of the portraits. I did Roman in my youth know I am looking a new challenge.

Any advice is also appreciated. So Far my only book is Wayne Sayles Volume II  Ancient Coin Collecting. He is always good at getting the basics. However I always believe in books before the coins.

Thank You.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Re: Basic Question about starting a new collection.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 11:11:36 pm »
As for Sear's Greek Coins and their Values, Volume 2 includes coins of Syria and the Seleucids.  However, Sear's coverage of Seleucid coinage is not very deep - perhaps 7 or 8 pages.  You'd be far better served with Oliver Hoover's Handbook of Syrian Coins (2009).  For overall background on Hellenistic Coinage, I'd recommend Otto Morkholm's Early Hellenistic Coinage from the accession of Alexander to the Peace of Apamea (336-186 B.C.) (1991).  Good luck with your foray into Greek coins!

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 11:47:32 pm »
Thank you, i will look for Otto Morkholm' book, in the meantime i bought a few titles from Forum. Hopefully that will get me started.
Again i appreciate the advice.

Best Wishes and stay safe.

Simon
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 09:03:46 am »
Great coinage to choose.

If you are serious about Seleucid coins the Houghton, Lorber, Hoover 4 volume set Seleucid Coinage is a must, though expensive.

The Hoover Handbook that Carausius pointed out is a good cheaper starter. At least it is a whole volume dedicated to Seleucids.

In my opinion there is absolutely no point to Sear.  You will find everything and more online at sites like Wildwinds.

The Davis and Kraay book Hellenistic Kingdoms is nice for the history and portraiture.  Lots of coin pics too.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2020, 09:29:33 am »
Hi Shawn,

I purchased this book from Forum last night.

Coins of the Seleucid Empire from the Collection of Arthur Houghton, Part II, Coins of the Seleucid Empire from the Collection of Arthur Houghton, Part II by Oliver D Hoover ( Sounds like I need to find a few more volumes.)

I did also get Sear Volume II, at the very least I need to a way to communicate with other collectors by Sear numbers.

Last night I did find Carausius recommendation but I am waiting to see if the sellers are still shipping right now.  Otto Morkholm's Early Hellenistic Coinage from the accession of Alexander to the Peace of Apamea (336-186 B.C.) (1991

I already realize this collection will have less coins than my last but more expensive acquisitions. I di promise my wife to sell some dupes of my other collection  before I bought any coins, she did not say anything about books.  :)

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 10:09:06 am »
… If you are serious about Seleucid coins the Houghton, Lorber, Hoover 4 volume set Seleucid Coinage is a must, though expensive. ...
At the moment this is, and probably for many years will remain, the bible of Seleucid coins  :).
The coins themselves, without the explanatory texts, are online here: http://numismatics.org/sco/

Have fun with your new collecting area  :)!

Regards

Altamura

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2020, 04:07:47 pm »
Another question about  the books recommended.

"If you are serious about Seleucid coins the Houghton, Lorber, Hoover 4 volume set Seleucid Coinage is a must, though expensive."

Is the Volume I and Volume II a complete set? That is 4 books total.

Is there  more books than that t complete the set?

Another question, are the plates nice, easy to see?

Scratch those questions, I found the catalogs , 2 parts 4 books, I ordered them. I will know soon enough. Thanks for the advice gentlemen.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2020, 09:10:40 pm »
In my opinion Houghton-Lorber is one of the best numismatic works ever written.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2020, 09:33:24 pm »
I appreciate your input Joe. I purchased the books and I also purchased several books from Forum as well.

The books before the coins.

Offline Brennos

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2020, 07:43:07 pm »
In my opinion Houghton-Lorber is one of the best numismatic works ever written.
i agree and if you have purchased the set (4 books complete the set : 2 vol of text and 2 vol of plates) you don't need any other.

A good alternative to begin with is in my view the book :
Coins of the Seleucid Empire from the collection of Arthur Houghton (Ancient coins in North American collections n°4)

Quite easy to find one for less than 50$

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2020, 02:50:00 am »
… A good alternative to begin with is in my view the book :
Coins of the Seleucid Empire from the collection of Arthur Houghton (Ancient coins in North American collections n°4)

Quite easy to find one for less than 50$ ...

Or even online here: http://hdl.handle.net/2027/mdp.39015013527562

Regards

Altamura

All coins are guaranteed for eternity