Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Heraclius Hexanummium Overstrike  (Read 1016 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Heraclius Hexanummium Overstrike
« on: April 10, 2020, 07:49:13 pm »
Hi, all.  I have been adding some coins to my Byzantine gallery including these five hexanummia from Caesarea Maritima.  They are of different diameters, 11.5mm-16mm, but similar in weight, 2.06gm.-2.62gm, with the exception of the largest one, at 4.10 grams. and 17.5mm.  Of particular interest is the one in the middle, BCC B29, which is an overstrike with a remnant that I think reads TPP.  The excavations at Caesarea in the 1970's found several examples of Heraclius "S" coins overstruck on "I+B" coins of Phocas, which we though were related to monetary reforms initiated by Heraclius along with the re-introduction of heavier "I+B" coins at around 5-8 grams at Alexandria.  Can anyone suggest an ID for the base coin with the weight of 2.62 grams and just the small remnant of inscription?  I thought perhaps Tiberius II Constantine, but I have not found any matches with my very limited resources.  Any ideas or further clarification of the reforms would be greatly appreciated!  

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4320

BCC B29 Heraclius Overstrike
Byzantine Period - Caesarea Maritima
Heraclius 610-641CE. AE Hexanummium.
Alexandria Mint
Obv: dd M hERACLS or similar,  blundered,
around cross potent upon one or two steps.
Rev: Large S, Overstrike showing ....TPP of
uncertain issue, Tib. Constantine?
15 x 13.5mm. 2.62gm. Axis:180
SB 862 DOC 198
Surface find Caesarea Maritima, 1972

(click for larger pics)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity