Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: About silica gel  (Read 1654 times)

Offline Basileus Nikephoros Antialcidas

• Consul
  • Nihil tam munitum quod non expugnari pecunia possi
About silica gel
« on: March 28, 2020, 02:45:09 am »
Hello. I bought a coin box for storage for my coins that I have in saflips. The box can hold up to 300 flips. I want to put some silica gel packages inside. I found good quality ones but they come in packages of 25gr. Is this too much or too little? Should I put more? Also does silica package get wet when it reaches it's limit? I mean if you touch does it have moisture on it or it remains dry and just stops absorbing more?
ABSQUE ARGENTO OMNIA VANA

Offline Charles M

• Consul
Re: About silica gel
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 03:51:45 pm »
It would not take much for a coin flip box but there's no limit on what you could use.  It can even be ingested without harm though I wouldn't recommend it ( I am a pediatrician in real life and get frequent calls from parents whose kids ingested the things).  Packets like come in electronics should be about the right size so the size you mention is probably about right.  They should be changed periodically based on the  humidity of the storage location.  Unless they get submerged in water I doubt they will feel moist.  You can actually "recharge" the packets by exposing them to about 150 degrees F for about 1/2 hour.

I also collect antique guns and keep a container in my gun safe--I just have it in a pan in the bottom.  About twice a year I'll put the pan in the oven on low setting which is about right.  So far no rust on my guns which are stored in a basement in Alabama, one of the most humid states.

By the way, I keep my coins in the same basement without dessicant and have never had any problems with bronze disease

Charles M.

Retrospectator

All coins are guaranteed for eternity