Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: My first Roman coin  (Read 433 times)

Offline Gregory M

• Legionary
My first Roman coin
« on: February 23, 2020, 02:41:13 pm »
Hello to everybody,

I am very new in all that, and I wanted to start a collection of Roman coins. The thing is that as beginner I can't spend hundreds of euros in one coin, and I bought a pair of cheap ones. I readed as much as I could about fake coins and I feel like mine are not.

I would like to know your opinion about them.

The small coin is 1,4cm and the big 2,1cm.

For what I understood looking around this forum, they are Constantine 2 and Flavius Arcadius.

(Also, I don't know if I made a mistake publishing this post in this section.)

And thank you all for the work you are doing here!

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Re: My first Roman coin
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 02:58:04 pm »
Hi, Gregory,

Welcome to this forum,

The rule, one coin per thread, and size and weight are necessary if you need our help.

"For what I understood looking around this forum, they are Constantine 2 and Flavius Arcadius."

yes, it is OK Constantine 2 and Arcadius, but the picture is not clear ..., your coin is authentic, not fake, but not the best condition...

Regards

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Gregory M

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 03:10:33 pm »
Thank you very much for your answer!

And sorry for not posting correctly, won't happen again. :laugh:

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 03:19:35 pm »
 ;) +++

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 03:31:01 pm »
Welcome.  I agree with the others - no concerns about authenticity.  Two honest late Roman coins.  You should be able to find lots of nicely priced coins.  Late roman bronze is especially good value. Finding one of each late Roman Emperor can be a good first direction for some.

While Arcadius was Flavius Arcadius, no one tends to refer to him with the Flavius as there was only the one Arcadius (unless of course you are listing full names).

I tried to delete the other post but couldn't fully delete it as I am not the moderator of this sub-forum.  Maybe someone else can.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Gregory M

• Legionary
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 03:56:42 pm »
I will follow your advice about how to start the collection :)

I hope I won't be scammed with the future coins. It's sad that there are so many falsifications out there, it makes you being afraid of buying anything, and it's a big desillusion sometimes.

Thank you very much for the answer. :laugh:

(I also was looking for how to delete the other post, I hope I didn't look stupid posting the same thing twice  :P)

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2020, 04:49:24 pm »
You're off to a great start.  I think we all started with Late Roman bronzes.

G L

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2020, 05:16:34 pm »
Just an advice, don't buy more than 20 of these. It's hard even trading them for some goodies. I have like 500 of these just sitting in a box. There are good quality denarius, sestertius, dupondius etc out there and pretty cheap as well.

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2020, 09:38:36 pm »
Welcome, Gregory!   Enjoy your coins! Read and learn about ancient coins and ancient civilizations!  Late Roman bronze coins are an interesting collecting area, and you can learn a lot without spending a lot.   Don't worry about "rarity " until you are very comfortable with your understanding of the coinage.  And have fun!
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

All coins are guaranteed for eternity