Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: M Tullius denarius Cr280/1: genuine?  (Read 889 times)

Offline clem.fandango

• Consul
M Tullius denarius Cr280/1: genuine?
« on: February 18, 2020, 01:21:02 pm »
Hello everyone,

I recently came into possession of this coin. However, it feels slightly strange to me. It's rather thin, and something doesn't feel quite right. The T on the reverse also seems slightly odd. As I say, I might be imagining it as the size and weight seem OK. However, may I ask for your erudite opinions?

Apologies for the phone photographs; it only arrived today.

At its largest, around 20mm; 6h; 3.60g

Best wishes

C

Offline Joss

• Praetorian
Re: M Tullius denarius Cr280/1: genuine?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 09:55:23 pm »
It is a bit odd, but the dies are the same as this one: [LINK TO COMMERCIAL SITE REMOVED BY ADMIN]

The weird T is due to the dot between the M and the T, which merged with the horizontal bar of the T.

The pictures are too blurry to give you a definitive opinion.

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
Re: M Tullius denarius Cr280/1: genuine?
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 11:02:27 am »
This is a "don't worry, be happy" coin.  Although the photos could be clearer, nothing about the coin is unusual for the type

An image search would show a range of engraving skill for this type, ranging from artistic to "how the heck do you expect me to fit all this stuff on the reverse die, boss?", and thus a variety of techniques for fitting the reverse lettering under the quadriga.
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

All coins are guaranteed for eternity