Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman gold coins and their values - from the Republic to Romulus Augustus  (Read 1205 times)

Roberto D

Hello everybody
Im new on this forum and just want to check out your opinion on a book project. Im an author of numismatic books and Im thinking of making a new book over the Roman gold coins.

The book/books would be in A4 format and in full color, all pics used would be from actual coin sales with references to auction company and sales prices. All coins with valuation prices and rarity grading.

Is there any market for this?

Sincerely
Roberto Delzanno

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Roman gold coins and their values - from the Republic to Romulus Augustus
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 03:13:49 pm »
There are many fewer gold coin collectors, but they do all have money to pay for a book.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 03:24:56 pm »
Wouldn't most of the information and photographs in your book already be available in Coin Archives or ACSearch?
Curtis Clay

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 04:31:28 pm »
Similar books on a wider (broader appeal) scale were attempted pre-internet in the mid 1990s.  Called "Roman Coin Price Yearbook".  I believe there was a Republican and an Imperial volume.  They weren't repeated, so presumably were not big sellers.  Also, as Curtis said, the internet now provides easier sources for the same information.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 04:43:35 pm »
If it were a coffee table type book—like the 100 greatest ancient coins but just Roman Gold, I think it would sell reasonably well.  But I wouldn’t expect to make a fortune.

Roberto D

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 05:18:02 am »
Hello guys

Yes I agree that much info is available on Coin Archives Pro, but if that is the good argument, no books at all should be produced:-) Internet is perfect when you are looking for specific coins and information about sales, but if you want to get the full picture, books are unbeatable. I also agree that it would not be a big seller, but I dont think there is a current book available on the topic. I know the X. Calico made a book in black and white but it is out of print and costs aprox 500 USD för the two books. Also I dont think its a good idea to make a book of "the best ancient coins" as there is so many titles on "similar" topics....

A new book like my suggested project in two volumes, would probably retail at just below 100 USD in total.

But, once again, Im hesitant, as it is a lot of work.....

Sincerely
Roberto Delzanno

Offline suarez

• Procurator Monetae
  • Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 06:49:17 pm »
The first thing you need to do is be brutally honest with yourself. You take one of two doors.... and the first one is labeled "Damned If You Do"

Option 1: you don't care about making any money. You are in it for the betterment of numismatics and being recognized in the community. You write a chapter or two to be able to showcase your work and then pitch it to any and all publishers out there. At the moment that's probably down to just Spink and Whitman but maybe if you have the right connections in academia you could get a university press to fund the project on your behalf. I find that last really doubtful but who knows. Assuming that you do find a publisher then you'll already be prepared to be offered an insulting advance to finish your drafts by a certain deadline. If they've given you so much as a dime upfront that's a deadline you don't want to miss and they're going to ride you really hard along the way. In the end, if all goes well, you turn over all your research and they do with it what they will. You might see royalties of a dollar per sold copy if you're lucky. Given the number of potential sales this might all add up to, say, give you enough to fix a busted water heater. Maybe.

Option 2: you decide to go the indie route and sell all the books yourself. Since you've opted for color you don't have the option of print-on-demand and other DIY alternatives. Color requires an offset press if you want professional results (and if you don't you can always use an inkjet at Kinko's but each book will be enormously expensive and look amateurish). Anyway, you go through the same work as Option 1 but with the added headaches of dealing with a printer and, of course, the outlay it'll take to get the book printed. Color printing will cost you on average 5 cents a page. It is four times costlier than black and white because it takes four different ink colors to reproduce the full color gamut. To this you must add separate fees for binding, paper stock, coatings, shipping and who knows what else. Worst of all your printer will need to devote staff to prepare your prepress-ready files (which need to be done in InDesign or Quark Xpress neither of which is a program for the faint of heart) and turn it into the PDFs that will be readable to his particular printing press. Since that printing press normally takes up a huge room and costs hundreds of thousands of dollars he will most likely be allotting at least one full work shift to your project. These costs are hidden to you but are passed on in the form of substantial MOQs (minimum order quantity) which usually starts at around 1,000 copies but is typically a fictional tier to get you on the hook. Either the price per copy is so high as to make you want to throw up or they might lump you in with all the other cheapskates for some undetermined future date when they can get to it. Of course, you have to prepay the full price up front. Don't be surprised if the bill is in the six figures.

I know this sounds very discouraging but you might as well know the unvarnished truth of what you're getting into. I personally think that every serious numismatist should at least consider publishing their own collection. It is immensely rewarding, you learn a lot along the way and it engages you with your favorite subject much more intimately than having your collection sit in a drawer ever would. A one-off color copy suitable as a coffee table art book may cost you hundreds of dollars but would be a beautiful - and again immensely rewarding - experience as well as a tangible keepsake of your collection long after you die and your coins dispersed. Publishing is really only a drag when you start thinking big. If you have money to burn then by all means do it. It'll be worth every penny. You can outsource all the headaches and concentrate on the creative part. If you have a budget though then consider scaling back to eBooks or reverting to black and white to make it more feasible. You can always scale up to bigger and better if the first attempt is successful.

Rasiel

Roberto D

Hello guys

Yes I completely agree, its an insane project and costly and time consuming. Most people and companies are very very very restrictive to do anything what so ever:-) Also normally the wisest action is to do nothing as its costs nothing and you don't need to put in any effort and risk any criticism... To be perfectly clear, I'm used to this, I do what normal people never consider. I actually published my first book last year "Gold Coins from Sweden 1512-2020", 500 pages hard cover in color and it was nominated for book prize - best book of the year, by IAPN. I know what Im up against and not worried to work hard. Writing a book is a good educational trip as well as a fantastic net-work-builder. I know from experience that it is hard to get the finance sound, but Iv managed with the first book and also with my coming book which I'm currently is writing. It is to be published in December, "Silver and copper coins from Sweden 995-2022", its a megabook 1200 pages in two volumes. Actually it is the same scoop as the proposed "Roman gold coins and their values". This book Iv done i 18 months, with a workload of 60-70 hours per week 52 weeks per year.... But again, you are correct, here in Sweden its the same, no one is publishing anything as its to much work and also lot of work to finance the project....Anyway thanks for your cautious advice.

Sincerely
Roberto Delzanno
Numismatik

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
I assume you've seen Rasiel's books?

Offline antoninus1

• Consul
As an average (?) collector of roman coins I would like to share some thoughts, although I am not sure whether they are helpful.

Looking at your book on Swedish gold coins I saw that you don´t need advice on how to professionally publish a beautiful book. You´ve done it already :)

I collect roman imperial coins as I am attracted by the beauty of the portraits and roman provincial coins due to their historical and cultural significance.
I would like to collect greek classical coins for the beauty of their portraits and general design but can´t afford it.
I bought Andreas Pangerl´s book on Roman Coin Portaits and will probably buy his book on Hellenistic Portaits. Both probably show the best specimens of all available coin types and I have fun to enjoy the pictures and compare them to my coins. (or not so much fun when I see the difference  ;) )

But Roman gold coins are something different. They are definitely out of reach for me (I proudly own one aureus) and so my interest is very weak. I have kept some sales catalogues in which big collections were sold and that´s sufficient for me.
Although the price that you have in mind for your book (around 50 € as for the swedish book) is not at all expensive, I probably would not by the book.

But in general, I think, for the ancient coin collectors community, such a book would be a great addition.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity