Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Mithridates VI in bronze?  (Read 1260 times)

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Mithridates VI in bronze?
« on: February 06, 2020, 03:04:11 pm »
A friend of my wife just sent miserable photos of a coin requesting attribution and value.  It is a bronze coin (I've no idea of size or weight) and bears the type and inscription of Mithridates VI, EupatorHis head right/stag grazing left with typical inscription above and below, surrounded by ivy wreath.  It looks exactly like his silver and gold coins, only in bronze.  After a short search in Sear GCATV and on ACsearch and Coinarchives, I don't find this type in bronze, and I suspect it may be a tourist fake.  Did Mithridates VI issue this type in bronze?   Greek coins are not really my area.  Any help appreciated. 

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Mithridates VI in bronze?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 04:24:58 pm »
Quote from: Carausius on February 06, 2020, 03:04:11 pm
… Did Mithridates VI issue this type in bronze? ...
As far as I know he did not, I never have heard about that.

François de Callataÿ, one of the leading experts in the coinage of Mithradates VI (if not the leading expert), does also not mention such a bronze coin in his article "La révision de la chronologie des bronzes de Mithridate Eupator et ses conséquences sur la datation des monnayages et des sites du Bosphore cimmérien":
https://www.academia.edu/338141/La_r%C3%A9vision_de_la_chronologie_des_bronzes_de_Mithridate_Eupator_et_ses_cons%C3%A9quences_sur_la_datation_des_monnayages_et_des_sites_du_Bosphore_cimm%C3%A9rien

Regards

Altamura

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 04:27:31 pm »
I have seen several bronze fakes of the type you describe.  All are bronze casts of legitimate silver coins.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 04:31:49 pm »
Thank you both for confirming my suspicions!  I'll request better photos that I can post in the fake coin reports.  Those provided to me were too poor to share here.

P.S. It also helps me justify my hobby expenses when I can answer wife's friends' coin questions quickly and confidently.  :angel:

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 01:41:00 pm »
Here are mediocre photos of the fake discussed above.  These photos were sent to me via a secondary source, so I cannot re-shoot the photos.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 08:06:36 am »
Yes--a bad cast of a silver coin.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 10:41:32 am »
I added a Fake Coin Report last night, with reverse right-side-up.  ;)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity