Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Philoppopolis, Elagabalus--bronze and silver  (Read 1014 times)

Offline Charles M

• Consul
Philoppopolis, Elagabalus--bronze and silver
« on: February 02, 2020, 10:10:21 pm »
Here are 2 coins form my collection.  Both are Philoppopolis, Elagabalus, Varbanov 1787.  The coin on the left is bronze while the one on the right is silver (not silvered).  Now I know this occurs sometimes with imperial silver denarii but I've never seen it with a provincial coin before.  How often does this occur?

Left coin: 20 mm, 3.33 grams
Right coin: 18 mm, 4.47 grams

Offline Charles M

• Consul
Re: Philoppopolis, Elagabalus--bronze and silver
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 10:12:57 pm »
It doesn't show well in the picture but in hand the coin on the right is very obviously silver.

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 04:10:16 am »
Very unusual. Only a few provincial cities were allowed to mint silver coins, and at least Varbanov shows no silver coins for Philippopolis. Also Varbanov 1787 is listed as bronze coin.

Offline Charles M

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 08:22:13 am »
So I wonder if this was an error?  Was it a trial run?  Since provincial cities were not allowed to mint silver coins, why would they have a silver flan?  It's the same size as a Roman denarius: I see no evidence of it but could it have been struck over a denarius?  Very strange.

Charles M.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity