Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Little Titus Caesar COTD  (Read 1030 times)

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Little Titus Caesar COTD
« on: January 30, 2020, 04:34:47 am »
During Forvm's current sale I picked up this excellent Titus semis with a neat numismatic story and mystery behind it. https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-159871

I like how the city-goddess on the reverse looks like Titus Caesar wearing a turreted crown!  ::)

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Little Titus Caesar COTD
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 07:31:36 am »
Great piece, glad you jumped on it.

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 07:34:47 am »
A fascinating coin David. Hard for us to imagine an emperor would deliberately produce an image of a feminine divinity that resembled his own, but it my be that the ancients had a more nuanced understanding of the divine than we typically have today.

Such a thing is perhaps seen in the well known gold aureus of Caesar, with the portrait of Venus on the obverse. To my eye the goddess of love looks remarkably masculine- even Caesar like! I have never read of anyone remarking on it, so it might be just me seeing things. But isn't it plausible the image was made that way to better link her to the gens Julia, which claimed descent from the Trojan prince Aeneas, supposedly the son of the goddess Aphrodite (Venus).

I'm posting an example of the aureus (not mine unfortunately!) it illustrate my case.

Could the Flavian likeness on a provincial city-goddess be to show something similar?

Best regards,

Steve

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 08:51:03 am »
Quote from: gallienus1 on January 30, 2020, 07:34:47 am
Could the Flavian likeness on a provincial city-goddess be to show something similar?

Possibly, but it may just come down to it being easier for the engravers to do similar portraits.

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 09:14:22 am »
A great coin David. Congrats on adding this interesting coin.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity