Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine, Nicephorus III, AR Miliaresion, Constantinople? Reference sought pls  (Read 1693 times)

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
Dear Friends,

I have this Byzantine, Nicephorus III, AR Miliaresion, Constantinople, where I am unsure about my attribution. I just cannot find an exact match of this type. The top line of the reverse seems to be different from those I have seen. The main difference i see is that the other coins with similar devices have double or triple border lines obverse and sometimes reverse, and all have 4 distinct steps on the pyramid under the cross, versus three on this. The Nicephorous III miliaresion grierson #976 is the closest match i can see. I would really appreciate help in this.

AR Miliaresion, 1.32 g, 21 mm

Thank you and best wishes,
Burak

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Very odd.  Do my eyes deceive me?  That sure looks like  :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Lambda: :Greek_epsilon: :Greek_Zeta: :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Stigma: in the top line on the reverse.  It does not look anything like  :Greek_Nu: :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Kappa: :Greek_Eta: :Greek_Phi: :Greek_Rho: -- which the coin should say accoridng to Sear 1886. 

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
And I think I see  :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Rho: :Greek_Eta: :Greek_Nu: :Greek_Eta: on the second like on the reverse (Alexios I was married to Irene). 

In addition, I see that the first letter after KAI on the obverse looks like an I.

Offline joma-tk

• Caesar
Interesting coin.
I dont know if it is official or not.
On reverce we see:
ΑΛΕΞΙΟC
KAI  :Greek_epsilon: IPHNH
ΠΙCΤΟΙΒΑ
CIΛ  :Greek_epsilon:  ICP :Greek_omega_small:
ΜΑΙ :Greek_omega_small:Ν

which means "Alexius and Ireni faithfull kings of Romans"

tk

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
Irene was the wife of Alexius I, this coin is not listed in CLBC or DOC. If it is real it is unlisted.
 Would have been issued before the reform of 1092 putting it between 1081 and 1092 CE.  They were married in 1078. CE
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
The coin looks good to me. The typeface looks official. The proportions look right.  The miniature iconography looks normal.

The overall design resembles the Nicephorus III issue.  The last three lines are the same.  My guess is that this was the first issue in 1081 -- perhaps using partially completed dies from the former reign.

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
Example from coins.labarum.info archive . Size and weight is unknown.
Regards ,
Vlad

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
One of us needs to write an article for Numismatic Chronicle.

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
Thank you all! I would have never been able to ID this one properly without you all.

If you publish this, then please refer to my specimen with "Asena 2" as it will hopefully be published under this name very soon.

Best wishes and thanks again to everyone
Burak Cebeci

All coins are guaranteed for eternity