Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Stuck with cupshape ae  (Read 1113 times)

Offline Peter G5

• Consul
Stuck with cupshape ae
« on: January 15, 2020, 05:18:05 pm »
Dear Board,

I stuck with this one, and I would like to ask your help:
26 mm
2,8 g
Half lenght emperor facing, wearing loros and crown, holding some kind of labarum a globus cruciger.

Strangely,  letters can be seen above the head, but I can read only one of them, an " :Greek_Phi:"

Other side is nearly blank.

I would appreciate any hint,

Thx in advance,

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
Re: Stuck with cupshape ae
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 09:38:51 pm »
John II Comnenus (1118-1143) aspron trachy
 SBCV 1944
Regards,
Vlad.

Offline Peter G5

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 12:33:06 am »
Thank You!

I guess, the F is part of that "PORFVROGHT" or alike. Thx!

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 03:47:19 pm »

The partial legend sealed the attribution. If it had been a Labrum instead of scepter cruciger  then it would have led you to Alexius, his father. Your coin has two versions , one without the second stroke on shaft  and one with.

Here is a heavily silvered SBCV-1944 ( Note Var A has transverse stroke on shaft  and 5 jewel collar piece.)

Bellow it is an Alexius  SBCV -1919?
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Peter G5

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 07:39:26 pm »
Thx! Now I started to understand.

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 09:59:46 am »
Peter,

I do not know how far along you are with these coins, the non gold cup shaped coins were created in the Alexius coin reform of 1092, Trachy, plural trachea.

Th first official  coins created  from 1092 to 1203 are the easiest of the series, they tend to be much easier to attribute because they were clearly struck.

We also have some confusion with other issues, some books will call them Bulgarian imitations, they tend to be cruder and the jury is out on them being imitation or military issues.

The post 1203 coins get more confusing, they are poorly struck and lighter in weight. They are the most challenging, we have several on the board who specialize in the post 1203 coinage, I have admiration for these collectors because they can see what I cannot.

In the meantime if you have more questions feel free , I am sure you will get prompt answers.

Here is a nice Alexius III rd coin minted 1195-1203 with a nice green patina,

And an Andronicus minted 1183 to 1185.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity