Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Anaximander's Celtic Gallery  (Read 9758 times)

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
Anaximander's Celtic Gallery
« on: November 07, 2019, 10:12:20 am »
I joined Forum Ancient Coins this year and have spent some time uploading coins into galleries and catching up on a decade or more of discussion boards. Yesterday I finally got myself a book on Celtic coinage (Van Arsdell's impressive Celtic Coinage of Britain), so pulled out my Celtic coins, and was pleased to discover this board. I saw several interesting threads, and now can understand the reference to "Kugelwange" types.

I recently finished re-cataloging, re-photographing, and uploading my Macedonian coins, and amid all that I was surprised to find that my Philip II tetradrachm was actually a Celtic imitation. Live and learn!

Here  is my Celtic gallery. It's small in size and scope, with just a handful of coins from each of the British isles and areas near the Danube.  The "ring money" deserve quote marks, at best. I'm now dubious about their status as a medium of exchange and store of value; perhaps we'll just view them as artifacts.

Thumbnails of my collection...

Offline Cunobelin

• Auxiliary
  • Lover of Coins and Antiquities, Classical & Celtic
Re: Anaximander's Celtic Gallery
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 06:34:48 pm »
Ave Anaximander!

I too have been "lurking and learning" but I was inspired when I saw your post to reply. You have a lovely collection. I particularly like the Durotriges and Iceni coins. They have the 'hidden-faces' which I enjoy so much and they are very good quality. I am still in the process of cataloging and photographing my collection of coins (Celtic and Non), but I have gotten very interested in Celtic coinage and the quirkiness of the detail. Thanks very much for sharing and I look forward to seeing more in time! (Hopefully, I'll have mine up to share before too too long!).

All the best,

Cunobelin ;)

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 01:33:52 pm »
Thanks Cunobelin  +++. Methinks it time for you to roll out that gallery!  Candidate for a new year’s resolution, perhaps.

And did you know:  Once you get to three posts, you can create an avatar  :).
Perhaps you can find something related to your namesake.

Cheers~
Anaximander

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 03:11:50 pm »
Hi,

Great collection+++ ;)

Regards

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 07:56:41 am »
One of the most useful resources for British Celtic coins is Van Ardell's Celtic Coinage of Britain, with the book published in 1989. I was surprised and pleased to see it re-emerge as an eponymous website as a 'second edition' in 2013.  It then saw its third edition, in electronic form, in 2017.   

You can find it at: https://vanarsdellcelticcoinageofbritain.com/

Anaximander.

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2022, 07:29:12 am »
Here's another valuable online resource for Celtic coins in Britain, and yet another spin-off from a popular reference book: Iron Age Coins in Britain .  In this case, the book, published in 2010, is Ancient British Coins ("ABC") by Chris Rudd.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity