Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Vespasian Sestertius with Civic Crown - Lugdunum mint  (Read 696 times)

Offline FlaviusDomitianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
Vespasian Sestertius with Civic Crown - Lugdunum mint
« on: October 23, 2019, 10:26:03 am »
Hello everyone.

The civic crown, entwined with oak leaves, was an important honor that the ancient Romans attributed to the soldier who had saved the life of a Roman citizen in battle.

From Augustus onwards, the coinage shows this honor attributed to many of the first emperors, such as Caligula, Claudius, Galba and Vespasian.

On the front side, the legend of this sestertius struck in Lugdunum is identical to the contemporary Rome issue, but it is distinguished by the presence of a small globe at the base of the neck.

On the reverse, however, there is a small difference, due to the presence of the acronym P P, which is missing in the Rome issue.

The meaning of the complete legend "S(enatus) P(opulus) Q(ue) R(omanus) P(atri) P(atrie) Ob Cives Servatos" is: "The Senate and the people of Rome (implicitly: confer this honour) to the Father of the Homeland for the saved citizens".

I think that the rarity of the sestertii struck in Lugdunum is slightly underestimated: in fact they are rarely offered on the market.

I find this specimen particularly attractive for its large flan and powerful portrait.

Alberto

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-158346

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
Re: Vespasian Sestertius with Civic Crown - Lugdunum mint
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 10:41:23 am »
A wonderful addition Alberto with a superb portrait. Congrats on adding this one.

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 11:54:28 am »
Thanks Andrew,

I've been lucky to get it, since it's very tough winning a coin in those auctions (strong competition, no live bidding...).

Alberto

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 07:02:04 pm »
That's a wonderful artistic portrait

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar