Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: another early Pius sestertius rarity  (Read 706 times)

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
another early Pius sestertius rarity
« on: October 11, 2019, 04:56:57 pm »
Another rarity from Pius'early reign as caesar! This one is a variant on a known type RIC (Hadr) 1085
It shows Pietas with two togate figures whom she seems to hold her hands over their heads. In the described version in RIC it says PIE - TAS in the fields, but this newly found coin has PIETAS in the exergue. I have been able to find just one other example on AcSearch and I already had one in my own collection of which I show obverse and reverse. I now begin to wonder if the description with PIE-TAS in the fields is correct.....

Frans

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: another early Pius sestertius rarity
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 06:25:35 pm »
The PIE - TAS variety exists, and is slightly different: she holds out her drapery above the heads of the two small figures, and to do so extends both of her hands outwards and downwards. See the BM specimen in their online image below; also illustrated in BMC III, pl. 102.3. This BM coin was the only specimen of this variety known to Strack 904; another from the same rev. die but a different obv. die is in my collection.

In the variety on your coins, with PIETAS in exergue, Pietas does not grasp her drapery, which merely hangs down from her left elbow; she still extends her left hand above the head of the figure behind her, as though to protect or guide him, but she raises her right forearm above the head of the other small figure before her and also stretches out her fingers, as though praying or presenting rather than protecting. Strack 903, citing examples in Berlin and Rome ex Gnecchi. I also have a specimen, same dies as your new one, and same rev. die as your old one, whose obverse you haven't initially shown. Strack's descriptions are short and he does not point out these small typological differences between the two varieties.

Curtis Clay

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 07:22:34 pm »
Thank you Curtis,
Very enlightening! I will strike out the version of my two coins with PIE-TAS. The variety with Pietas mantle will be on my wish list!

Frans

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 12:39:34 pm »
I repeated Frans' photo in my last post, to make it easier to compare the two varieties of the type.
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity