Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Possible Greek Coin Herakles or Zeus Amon  (Read 1755 times)

Safak S

Possible Greek Coin Herakles or Zeus Amon
« on: October 11, 2019, 02:54:17 pm »
Hi I have searched everywhere and still i couldnt find anything about this coin. I've just  seen that it is similar to some coins of Alexander The Great. Unfortunately the coin is not in a good shape, it has cracks but the obverse can be recognized. There are AIO letters can be seen on the reverse side of the coin.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Possible Greek Coin Herakles or Zeus Amon
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 02:31:03 am »
Please always give size and weight when asking for an identification!

I tend to believe that this is a non ancient fantasy piece  :-\.

On the obverse you have a mixture of Herakles and Zeus-Ammon. There is clearly a lion skin headdress and a horn. This is something I never have seen on ancient coins (except for some Arabian imitations of Alexander coins looking different that the coin here).

When a bronze or a silver coin corrodes, it does not develop this kind of cracks as you have on your coin. Here it looks more like clay or something like that. Are you shure that the coin is made of metal?

The reverse looks very smooth, more like being cast than stamped. If you turn it counterclockwise by 90 degree then it could be a bull, but a strange looking one.

Regards

Altamura 

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 07:37:55 am »
It is not ancient. Some sort of cast replica.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Safak S

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 03:32:03 pm »
The size is approximately  26 mm, not less but can be a bit more.I think it is a metal it may look smooth but it is pretty solid meanwhile I will search  coins of Lysimachus and Ptolemy Kingdom.Thanks for the help! by the way i am thinking of cleaning the coin , any ideas? It may worth a try. I want to read the inscription of the coin even if it is replica.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 06:55:52 pm »
I have a few genuine bronzes that have corroded in a similar way.  Most came from the "Holy Land".

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity