Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Sidon Phoenicia Translation Request  (Read 852 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Sidon Phoenicia Translation Request
« on: September 16, 2019, 08:16:40 pm »
Hi, all.  Here is a coin of Sidon, unfortunately very poorly preserved.  Can someone tell me the meaning of ΣIΔΩNOΣ ΘEAΣ?  I saw the phrase translated as "Sidon the Holy", but I think the Greek word for "holy" is IEΡAΣ.  Any clarification would be appreciated.  Thanks, V-drome

BCC RGP53
Sidon, Phoenicia
Semi-autonomous
Time of Claudius 49/50CE
Obv: Head of young Dionysus
left, wreathed with ivy.
Rev: LΞΡ (year 160)
ΣIΔΩNOΣ ΘEAΣ
Dionysiac cista mystica.
17.5x16.5mm. 5.31gm. Axis:0
BMC 153

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Sidon Phoenicia Translation Request
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 08:21:20 pm »
I've seen it translated as "of the Sidonians" but I'm just going by what others have written down.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 09:50:01 pm »
According to Eckhel, this inscription must mean "Of the goddess Sidon".

Sidon was considered to be one of the oldest cities in the Greco-Roman world, so the city itself was apparently deified, just as Rome was, ΘEA PΩMH.

Hill agreed, BMC Phoenicia p. cvii: "Eckhel has shown that ΘEAΣ in some of these inscriptions is in apposition to ΣIΔΩNOΣ, and that it does not refer to the goddess of Sidon."
Curtis Clay

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 10:22:11 pm »
Very interesting.  Thank you, Jay and Curtis.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity