Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Provincial? Table?  (Read 626 times)

Offline Juan R

• Consul
Provincial? Table?
« on: September 16, 2019, 03:48:26 pm »
Ae 15

3,40g

Thanks in advance

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Provincial? Table?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 01:51:37 am »

Maybe temple with conical xoanon, like:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=5030532

Pekka K

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 07:42:58 am »
I never cease to be amazed by Pekka's ability to identify even worn and obscure coins!  Bravo!

Offline Juan R

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 11:49:11 am »
AWESOME!!! I would have never came across to it.

Thanks so much Pekka

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 02:19:06 am »
I never cease to be amazed by Pekka's ability to identify even worn and obscure coins!  Bravo!

Hi folks,

That statement is true 98-99% of the time. Yes, Pekka is amazing. However, in this case, I don't think it applies.

This is actually an easy coin to identify. At least, it was for me. I recognized the type immediately, within a fraction of a second of looking at the photos, despite the fact that the reverse photo is upside-down.

The reason? I have the Augustus version of that type.

Meepzorp

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 03:48:27 am »
Would you have recognized the type immediately if you hadn't had a similar specimen?

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 05:16:47 am »
Hi shanxi,

Good question. :)

Your question is actually about 50% of the way "there". In other words, about half of it is missing. I'll explain.

Coins of Augustus (both Imperial and Provincial) are one of my specialty areas of collecting. If I didn't have a similar specimen, I still may have immediately recognized this type simply because I am familiar the Augustus version of that type. You don't have to have an example of a type to be familiar with it, especially if it is in one of your specialty areas of collecting.

Now, if it was a situation where I didn't have a similar specimen and I wasn't familiar with the Augustus version of that type (both conditions true), then I may not have immediately recognized it.

That being stated, this is a distinctive and unique reverse type. I would assume that other Forum members also immediately recognized that type.

In my mind, this is an easy coin to identify. On a scale from 1 to 10, in terms of difficulty in identifying it, I'd rate this type a "2".

I feel that coins with generic reverse types are more difficult to identify.

Meepzorp

Offline Juan R

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 03:25:35 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on September 20, 2019, 05:16:47 am
Hi shanxi,

Good question. :)

Your question is actually about 50% of the way "there". In other words, about half of it is missing. I'll explain.

Coins of Augustus (both Imperial and Provincial) are one of my specialty areas of collecting. If I didn't have a similar specimen, I still may have immediately recognized this type simply because I am familiar the Augustus version of that type. You don't have to have an example of a type to be familiar with it, especially if it is in one of your specialty areas of collecting.

Now, if it was a situation where I didn't have a similar specimen and I wasn't familiar with the Augustus version of that type (both conditions true), then I may not have immediately recognized it.

That being stated, this is a distinctive and unique reverse type. I would assume that other Forum members also immediately recognized that type.

In my mind, this is an easy coin to identify. On a scale from 1 to 10, in terms of difficulty in identifying it, I'd rate this type a "2".

I feel that coins with generic reverse types are more difficult to identify.

Meepzorp

Hi Meepzorp, I can see your point of view but I do not totally agre, mainly cause I would have sweard that this reverse was not a temple and anv shows no letter at all, so no way to start to look for it, again, my point of view.
For sure generic coins sometimes may be impossible to ID unless you have one or have seen it before, I mean eagle, tripod, horse...... But for example temple reverse, thereare hundreds of this reverse, but so many different features thay can help you finding out the right one

King regards

All coins are guaranteed for eternity