Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Reuniting Old Friends  (Read 2705 times)

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Reuniting Old Friends
« on: September 15, 2019, 09:52:17 pm »
I've had remarkable run of luck finding old provenances for some recently-purchased, Roman Republican Imperatorial-era denarii.  Two coins that I've added to my Forum Gallery were consecutive lots (1273 and 1274) in the Michele Baranowski auction of the Traverso and Martini Collections, held on 25 February 1931.  Both coins are now reunited in my trays.  Current photos can be seen in my gallery at: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-157894  and https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-156583 .  Their plate photo in the Baranowski sale is below.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Reuniting Old Friends
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 10:06:47 pm »
Fantastic coins!  Great provenance too.  Is that the same Baranowski that used to be in Rome?

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 10:17:27 pm »
No, this Baranowksi (also spelled Baranowsky) was in Milan

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 08:07:43 am »
Hmm, the old guy in Rome was also Baranowsky.  Closed down maybe 10 years ago.  I have his card somewhere, I'll have to dig it up.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 09:07:16 pm »
Again I've reunited two coins from an old collection.  Recently, a friend shared with me a scan of plates from Munz Zentrum Auktion XXX (21 November 1977), which included a large collection of Roman Republican struck bronzes.  Scanning the plates, I was thrilled to notice the below Crawford 39/2 Quadrans, which I bought just last January at the New York International Numismatic Convention, and for which I had previously found a slightly later provenance.  Even better, the text of the catalogue said this coin was previously from the important Signorelli Collection which was sold in 1952 by P&P Santamaria.  Looking further through the plates, I found the Anchor (Third) Series As, which I had bought two years ago with a Dr. Walter Neussel Jr. Collection provenance.  

I'm curious, does anyone happen to know the identity of the Munz Zentrum XXX collector?

You can see my gallery postings for these reunited coins, with updated provenances, here:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-153621
   https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-148076

The plate photos from Munz Zentrum XXX are below.  

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 11:04:41 pm »
The quadrans 39/2 is particularly nice.  Despite the flatness of this issue, this specimen has real style.
The attribution to the original collection  must have taken a bit of effort!
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2019, 10:29:39 pm »
Last night, I reunited two coins from the Reinhold Faelton Collection

Reinhold Faelton (1856 - 1949) was a musician, composer, the Dean and founder in 1897 of the Faelton Pianoforte School of Boston, Massachusetts, and a coin collector for over 50 years.  His collection of ancient coins was sold by Stacks in January 1938.  This Stack's catalogue was one of the earliest to feature photographs of actual ancient coins in the plates, rather than photos of plaster casts of the coins (which was the standard at the time).  The resulting plates were mixed quality but mostly poor, making it an arduous task to use this catalogue for provenance matching.

I bought my first Faelton Collection coin about three years ago.  That coin, an AR Denarius of Marc Antony, is in my gallery here: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-145750  Fortunately, Andrew McCabe had previously identified it as Faelton, because I'm not certain I'd have noticed it based on the catalogue photo below. 

About a month ago, I acquired this Roman Republican AE Sextans of the "Collateral" Series of Semilibral Reduction coins:  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-158676. I had already found the coin in a 1927 Otto Helbing sale.  Last night, while flipping through the Stack's Faelton catalogue hoping to find a different coin, I noticed the below photo and the distinctive mark in the metal above the Wolf and Twins.  So, I have reunited another pair of old collection friends.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2019, 02:30:49 pm »
What a great added bonus to finding a provenance!

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 05:27:43 pm »
Quote from: Carausius on September 15, 2019, 09:52:17 pm
I've had remarkable run of luck finding old provenances for some recently-purchased, Roman Republican Imperatorial-era denarii.  Two coins that I've added to my Forum Gallery were consecutive lots (1273 and 1274) in the Michele Baranowski auction of the Traverso and Martini Collections, held on 25 February 1931.  Both coins are now reunited in my trays.

I recently added a rare Cassius aplustre denarius to my Forum Gallery. The coin was once part of the Valerio Traverso Collection, sold by M. Baranowsky in 1931.  This is the third coin in my collection from this sale, all from the Traverso collection and all shown on the same plate in the 1931 auction catalogue!! Each of these coins is in my Forum Gallery.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 05:37:49 pm »
Fantastic!  Congrats

All coins are guaranteed for eternity