Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: hierapolis-Phrygia  (Read 844 times)

Offline AlfaOmega

• Consul
hierapolis-Phrygia
« on: September 12, 2019, 12:40:59 pm »

I know I'm almost asking for the impossible.
This is a self-contained ae 32 pesudo with the Demos on the front, it should surely be from Hierapolis in Phrygia.
Coined at the time of Elagabalus BMC 73.
It has two counter-cards that even though I have the Howgego I can't classify them.
In my opinion, the one on the right is an eagle, but the one on the left is definitely an N, this counter-mark is not coined by the city of Hierapolis, at least in the Howgego.
I ask for a miracle if someone could classify them.
I apologize for the photos, but I do not know better.
Thank you

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
Re: hierapolis-Phrygia
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 02:35:03 pm »
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline AlfaOmega

• Consul
Re: hierapolis-Phrygia
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 04:46:52 am »
 :
Thanks, but I don't think they can be those.
In the Howegego these types are not present for the city of Hierapolis.
In the Hierapolis series, namely those marked on the civic ones, the one on the right could be the number 325 (eagle with open wings),
On the one on the left I see that it is an N or something similar, which would lead to the number 681, but this type in the Howgego is not listed for the city of Hierapolis.
Greetings. :

All coins are guaranteed for eternity