Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Chinese Cash Lohan coin marking the 60th birthday of Kang Hsi. Query.  (Read 3630 times)

Offline coldavo

• Consul
Hi All,

I have a Chinese Cash coin which is the Lohan minted to mark the 60th birthday of Kang Hsi. It measures about 26 mm in diameter, is about 2 mm thick, and weighs about 7.1 grams.

I have had it for a fair number of years and regard it as genuine. However, I am about to put it, and a few other coins, in storage and would just like to confirm whether it actually genuine or not.

Although I have a reasonable number of Chinese coins I do not have much experience in this area. I would appreciate any information that the members can give.

All the best,
Col

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Chinese Cash Lohan coin marking the 60th birthday of Kang Hsi. Query.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 02:12:40 am »
IMHO there is no Lohan Cash with Da Qing reverse.

A similar fake/fantasy on zeno.ru

https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=6297

My real example:

Offline coldavo

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 03:39:53 am »
Hi Ralf,

Thank you for your reply.

There seems to be three Lohan cash shown in Krause - KM338, KM339 and KM340 - all of which the book classes as fairly common. The fantasy you show on Zeno is obviously a fake and the lettering is much different to mine. Krause seems to list no Da Qing but Zeno does.

I disagree with your statement that there are no Lohans with the Da Qing reverse - there is a lovely example, also on the Zeno database, which is shown as genuine. Refer to the link http://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=17594

The reason for my query is that I do feel that mine is genuine (especially when comparing the Zeno coin which was sold by Steve Album) but, because of lack of experience in this area would like to hear what other members of the Forum thought.

All the best,
Col

Offline shanxi

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 03:50:58 am »

I disagree with your statement that there are no Lohans with the Da Qing reverse - there is a lovely example, also on the Zeno database, which is shown as genuine. Refer to the link http://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=17594

Before you disagree you should read a little bit more carefully what you are positing.

Your link shows a charm, listed in the charm category !!

Of course there are tons of Lohan charms, but we are talking about coins here.

There is no such coin in Hartills "Cast chinese coins". In Hartills "Qing Cash" a similar item is shown, but not as an official Kang Xi coin, but in a special category for privately made items.

Offline coldavo

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 04:27:03 am »
Hi again Ralf,

A number of these true coins of Kang Hsi are termed "charms", "poem" or "talisman' coins, as they were thought to imbue good fortune. They were valued and used by the Chinese as such. Krause names many of these type of coins as "talisman" coins.

I'm afraid that if my coin is a "charm" coin - then so too is yours. I checked a bit further in Krause (some of his reference numbers are out of order)
and think that your coin is listed as KM340. Mine is listed as KM347. Since Krause and Steve Album (see his auction entry) thinks that there are Da Qing Lohan coins - so do I.

I would still like members of the Forum to give their opinion as to whether my coin matches up to the one in the link
 http://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=17594

All the best,
Col

Offline shanxi

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 05:05:52 am »
There are real Lohan Coins.

The myth says that these were made from the melting down of statues of the eighteen disciples of the Buddha.  These disciples were called lohan. Therefore people believed  that these coins have  special powers and treated them like charms.

BUT !! A real coin treated like a charm is still a real coin,

and vice versa, a charm, fantasy or privately minted item is not a coin, even with a coin inscription.

Offline Sasa S

• Legionary
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 02:16:13 pm »

Offline pingu

• Legionary
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 09:43:30 am »
sorry - for necro post.... but:

Hello,

the coin of Shanxi looks good.

The coin from coldavo is an amulet or a forgery.  Amulets often were carried in a tape - the inside hole should have no degree....

The piece what Sasa S. points is a modern forgery (none 20 years old) - wrong Kalligaphie.

The Seller bestcoins666 is known on the Internet for forgeries.  Many of his chinese and japanese Silver coins were not original in silver. His retail prices often lie with 0.1 - 10% of the prices of real pieces.

Long time he had even the postal address of the Dutch coin on his ebay side for himself.... ::)
Not everything is wrong - but I advise the care by the purchase.

Grüße
pingu

sorry for bad english - i use translator programms

All coins are guaranteed for eternity