Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help! Total newbie here  (Read 409 times)

Joey R

Help! Total newbie here
« on: September 11, 2019, 10:33:41 pm »
I have no experience in coins.  I got three Roman coins when I was in Tunisia last spring.  I have spent a lot of time on your site and I think have narrowed the one down to being a Constantius Gallus but I am overwhelmed by the different ones it could be.  I have no experience in taking pics of tiny coins either so I apologize for the awful pics.  I just didn't know where to turn other than the forum.   

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Help! Total newbie here
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 10:49:57 pm »
Welcome to Forum.  Nice coin.   It's what is known as a "Fallen horseman" type.  I can't make out the mint mark on the reverse but your coin is by Constantius II

DN CONSTANTIVS  PF AVG

FEL TEMP REPARATIO

Not exactly the same but Similar to this one:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=4801515

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=5494846

There are lots of variations when it comes to these.  Someone else may be able to narrow it down by bust type and mint mark.

Joey R

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 02:48:25 pm »
Thank you so much!  I have two more coins which are similar but not exact.  I will try to get better pictures of all these coins soon.  I appreciate the help.

Offline Tacitus

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 05:10:39 pm »
Welcome to the best and most frustrating hobby you can ever have.

It is best because you are saving history and learning about something new with each new coin.
Frustrating, as some coins are hard to discern, and once you get a new coin, you are always wanting another.

If you are going to be a collector, I recommend talking to people here and picking a subject to collect....
They could be a particular emperor, a particular reverse (animals, altars, campgates, etc)

Have fun

All coins are guaranteed for eternity