Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Marc Aurel portrait OTD  (Read 1284 times)

Offline gb29400

• Caesar
  • Your life is what your thoughts make it ! M.Aurel
    • GbCollection
Marc Aurel portrait OTD
« on: September 09, 2019, 03:22:16 am »
Happy to share you my last Marcus Aurelius sestertius

Marc Aurèle, sesterce, Rome, 166-167
[M] ANTONINVS AVG ARM PARTH MAX
Laureate head right.
R/TR POT XXI . IMP IIII COS III/ S/ C
Victory walking left, holding wreath and palm branch.
30x32 mm - 26.88 g
C.815, RIC.948, BMC.1318

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
Re: Marc Aurel portrait OTD
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 09:44:38 am »
I am very fond of the sestertii of this emperor, but your example is truly excellent gb29400! The smooth grey-green patina it has gives the coin an very aesthetically pleasing appearance.

The portrait of the philosopher-emperor, apart from being skillfully rendered, makes the divine Marcus look amazingly young. If the coin was struck AD 166 and he was born in AD 121, then he would have been about 45 at the time, yet the portrait looks to me like a man in his early 20's. Perhaps an example of Greek classical idealism, rather than the Roman realism typical of a Flavian emperor, produced for an Antonine emperor who was known during his reign as being a great lover of Greek culture?

A real show coin!

Best regards,

Steve

Offline ickster

• Caesar
Re: Marc Aurel portrait OTD
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 11:06:18 am »
Very nice! I had a look at your gallery, and there are many nice coins there. Thanks for sharing.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity