Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Diocletian pre-reform radiate: Questions about bust-type and attribution  (Read 993 times)

Offline Per D

• Praetorian
Attributing pre-reform radiates of Diocletian and colleagues can be quite a challenge (Saúl Roll-Velez a.k.a Romanorum outlined the difficulties and offered many helpful suggestions in an article a few years ago (AJN 26: 223-243, available online).

This piece was recently sold as a Siscia antoninianus, but seems to be a close match to RIC V.2 (Cyzikus): 306 (except for the dot in exergue), or Voetter, p. 131 (Kyzikos): 5.  

IMPCCVALDIOCLETIANVSAVG Radiate and draped bust seen from behind (Larger bust, no dot below.)
CONCORDIAM-ILITVM :dot: Emperor standing right, holding sceptre (or parazonium), receiving Victory on globe from Jupiter, standing left holding sceptre.  :Greek_Alpha: in center field. XXI :dot: in exergue.
4,07 gm. ⌀ 21 mm.

Any thoughts on this attribution (and the bust-type) would be appreciated.

Offline AMICTUS

• Consul
Re: Diocletian pre-reform radiate: Questions about bust-type and attribution
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 10:11:44 am »
Style of obverse bust points rather to Cyzikus.

Offline Per D

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 10:47:33 am »
Thank you, Amictus!

Do you happen to know when the Cyzikus mint changed bust design from the smaller one (example below)? I assume the different designs weren't used simultaneously.

Offline helveticus

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 12:14:39 pm »
Hi Per D,
The first coin you published is definitely from Kyzikos,  belonging to its largest issue 5 with its smaller diameter and distinctive 2 dots on the reverse,  i.e. after the main legend, and in the exergue. Also reverse legend cut M-I or MI-LITVM.
Estimated large datation should be c. 288-290. New style with small diameter and large heads is estimated to be placed after Quinquennalia of Dio (celebrated 288), but still while Dio. was mostly residing and campaigning in the East.
The lack of published hoards in the East makes a more precise datation very difficult.

The second coin you publish with small head, no cut in the reverse legend and no dot in the exergue belongs to earlier Issue 3, to be dated
286-7,  not long after Maximian's nomination in March/April 286.

Helveticus

Offline Per D

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 12:52:03 pm »
Thank you again, Helveticus, for being so generous with your expertise. (I appreciate it as I'm slowly working through a batch of poorly attributed radiates with the help of outdated reference works.)

Per D

Offline Per D

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 01:05:16 pm »
By the way, what's your opinion on this one? It has the MI-LITVM legend break and dots on the reverse, but I can't decide if the head is "small" or "large".

IMPCMAMAXIMIANVSAVG Radiate, draped (and cuirassed?) bust right.
CONCORDIAMI-LITVM :dot: Emperor standing right, holding sceptre (or parazonium), receiving Victory on globe from Jupiter, standing left holding sceptre:Greek_epsilon: in center field. XXI :dot: in exergue.
3,66 gm. 20,5 mm.

Offline helveticus

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2019, 02:22:32 pm »
Per D,

This has a large head and also belongs to Kyzikos Issue 5,  by far its largest issue  !
Helveticus

Offline Per D

• Praetorian
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2019, 02:36:09 pm »
Thank you!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity