Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A Tripolis oddity of Maximian  (Read 499 times)

Offline Per D

• Praetorian
A Tripolis oddity of Maximian
« on: August 28, 2019, 10:02:54 pm »
IMPCMAVRVALMAXIMIANVSPFAVG Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
IOVICONSERVATOR – IAVG Emperor standing right, holding short sceptre, receiving Victory on globe from Jupiter standing left, holding sceptre. TR in field, XXI in exergue.
3,53 gm. 22 mm.

This type (with the reverse legend ending AVG rather than the normal AVGG) is not listed in RIC V:2 (but mentioned in a footnote on p. 295). Voetter (p. 413, nos 1 – 3) listed three Tripolis radiates for Maximian with this (or a similar) legend, but considered them to be mules struck with dies from Diocletian’s sole reign.

I don’t know how many specimens have surfaced since the 1920s, but I suppose they must be quite rare.

Offline helveticus

• Praetorian
Re: A Tripolis oddity of Maximian
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 03:11:24 pm »
Hi Per D,
I checked the odd legend in my database and found a dozen similar pieces, belonging to all reverse types of Tripolis ( Jupiter and Winged Victory, Emperor and Jupiter, value mark XXI below with and w/o :dot: (1st or 2nd officina)
Similar oddities for Maximian also occur in Antioch and even in Rome IOVI CONSERVAT AVG instead of AVGG.
The relative frequency of these oddities makes me think that the mint officials actually wanted to use for Maximian the existing stock of reverse dies engraved for Diocletian sole emperor (until March 286 AD.)
Therefore, in my opinion, the coins AVG should be considered more "intentional" than "accidental" mules.

helveticus

Offline Per D

• Praetorian
Re: A Tripolis oddity of Maximian
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 01:49:44 pm »
Thanks (again), Helveticus!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity