Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: new PIE-TAS addition to my Pius collection  (Read 653 times)

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
new PIE-TAS addition to my Pius collection
« on: August 30, 2019, 09:30:26 am »
Pius' early bronze coinage seems simple, but is quite complicated due to quickly superseding issues, varying texts and bare or laureate heads. The situation in the workshop must have been pretty chaotic as there are also dozens of hybrid coins. Among all of these variants, there is one single rare obverse text: IMP ANTONINVS AVGVSTVS, which comes in a bare headed and a laureate version. The reverse reads: TRIB POT COS DES II and shows Pietas standing left, offering over a lighted altar and holding a box of perfumes. PIE- TAS and S - C are in the fields.
So far, this bare-headed coin lacked in my collection and I am happy with the quality.

Frans

It is RIC 523a and BMC 1109 and Strack 740.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: new PIE-TAS addition to my Pius collection
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 07:59:00 pm »
Very nice!

As far as I know there were only two sestertius obv. dies with this legend, one with laureate and the other with bare-headed portrait.

I have a bare-headed specimen from the same dies as yours, but unfortunately quite worn, only VG rather than VF like yours!

My laureate specimen, from NAC's Friedrich Collection sale of 1995, is fortunately much nicer, about a match for your newly acquired coin.
Curtis Clay

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 07:24:46 pm »
Just to be on the safe side, I post my laureate version . I am curious if this is the same obverse die as yours, since it has a curious text break IMP ANTONI - NVS AVGVSTVS. The reverse has a 'broad' altar and is apparently of other dies.

Frans

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 03:34:05 pm »
Yes, that is the only laureate obv. die I know.

Same dies as BMC pl. 24.1, and as my example ex Friedrich Coll.
Curtis Clay

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 06:15:13 pm »
Yes, that is the only laureate obv. die I know.

Same dies as BMC pl. 24.1, and as my example ex Friedrich Coll.
That's settled then!
Both varieties seem to be a 'one off'

Frans

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 09:43:05 am »
I stumbled upon another related coin in my collection, with the same bareheaded obverse, but with a Pietas RIGHT reverse. I think it also is a TRIB POT COS DES II, but can't be entirely sure as the reverse is badly worn. It is most likely a hybrid with the next issue.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity