Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Vespasian No Mintmark COTD  (Read 1791 times)

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Vespasian No Mintmark COTD
« on: August 15, 2019, 09:38:03 am »
Courtesy of Forvm I was able to acquire this fantastic no-mintmark Ephesian denarius struck for Vespasian. https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-157395

This is a wonderful addition to my Flavian Ephesians! Thanks Joe!

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
Re: Vespasian No Mintmark COTD
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 09:40:37 am »
very nice David,

would be an engravers error?
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 09:55:14 am »
Quote from: okidoki on August 15, 2019, 09:40:37 am
would be an engravers error?

If on one die, very probable, but because it is seen on various dies spanning different reverse types for both Vespasian and Titus I lean more towards this being intentional.

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 10:30:36 am »
Congratulation David on adding this rarity to your collection. I love the Ephesian portraits of Vespasian. They have so much character.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 10:33:16 am »
Fantastic find David.  I've always loved this type. With no mint mark is just a wonderful bonus!  Here is mine with mint mark from earlier in the series, RIC 1407:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-153281

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 11:18:30 am »
Nice, find,  +++

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 08:04:30 am »
Another excellent addition David. Flavian Ephesian denarii are so interesting. The style is hard to sum up, and yet always recognizable as Ephesian from those struck in Rome. In all these years I've yet to acquire one, something I must attend to!

You write that you lean toward the lack of a mint mark being present as deliberate, as the design does not leave a convenient place to put it. That makes perfect sense to me, but could the lack of a mark actually mean something? For example with this issue could the lack of a mark indicate something such as the first appearance of a new reverse type, or a change of legend, or even a time of year?

It just seems to me if it was important enough for the administrators at Ephesus to have different mint marks, wouldn't a coin with no mint mark also have a particular meaning?

Best regards,

Steve

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 11:47:34 pm »
Quote from: gallienus1 on August 16, 2019, 08:04:30 am
Another excellent addition David. Flavian Ephesian denarii are so interesting. The style is hard to sum up, and yet always recognizable as Ephesian from those struck in Rome. In all these years I've yet to acquire one, something I must attend to!

You write that you lean toward the lack of a mint mark being present as deliberate, as the design does not leave a convenient place to put it. That makes perfect sense to me, but could the lack of a mark actually mean something? For example with this issue could the lack of a mark indicate something such as the first appearance of a new reverse type, or a change of legend, or even a time of year?

It just seems to me if it was important enough for the administrators at Ephesus to have different mint marks, wouldn't a coin with no mint mark also have a particular meaning?

Best regards,

Steve

Thanks as always for your thoughts Steve.

The no mintmark denarii do not introduce new legends or types. It's possible they may simply be the product of one forgetful engraver.

And yes, you really do need to acquire one of these Ephesians! They really are something quite special.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity