Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Exporting ancient coins, Lebanon  (Read 2811 times)

John H5

Exporting ancient coins, Lebanon
« on: August 01, 2019, 12:28:27 pm »
Hi everyone.  I’m a US national in Lebanon wondering whether it’s possible to take ancient coins out of the country.  I recently bought three Hellenistic coins from an antiques store.  The store owner told me that it was permissible to take coins out of the country, and that Lebanese antiquities law did not concern small numbers of common coins.

After buying them, some Google searches have made me question the actual legal status.  Lebanon seems to have strong antiquities laws.  But enforcement of the law isn’t always the same as what’s written, especially in Lebanon.

Does anyone have experience purchasing ancient coins in Lebanon and taking them back home?  If it would be difficult to take them in checked airplane luggage, would sending them to myself by mail work?

I don’t really feel ethical qualms about taking them because these are common Hellenistic coins, not museum quality, purchased from a Lebanese person.  I just want to avoid legal trouble.  It's not possible for me to get a refund for the coins.

Offline Henriette A

• Praetorian
Re: Exporting ancient coins, Lebanon
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 04:08:30 pm »
If you can post  clear photos for each coin ( two sides ) , perhaps we might save you the troubles.
Or you can first , check yourself the Fake Report here before , thinking about sending. ( https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/thumbnails.php?album=20 )
To me I know in Lebanon , Syria , and most Arabic countries , it is Un-lawful to take out the country any piece of antique of 200 year and older , prison up to 10 years.
Jordan has some exceptions.

Good luck

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 05:05:04 pm »
Israel and UAE allow exports as well.

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 03:35:30 pm »
The store owner told you what he did in order to make the sale.  I don't know what the penalty is, but I assume it is severe in order to use it a stick to deter people, who might otherwise try.  I don't know how much you have in the coins, but I know that I wouldn't want to chance spending the night in a Lebanese jail.  Then again, I don't know how much you have invested in the coins.

But, if you figured out they were forgeries (or "replicas"), that would in one way solve your problems.

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 08:04:18 pm »
Having lived and worked in the area, I decidedly would walk away from buying them. Even if they are replicas, this would have to be determined by whatever authorities might be involved. In the meantime, you might have a very uncomfortable time. At the moment, of course, most of the Lebanese law enforcement and security services' attention is directed elsewhere, but it would still be a dangerous move.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity