Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ptolemy III?  (Read 1526 times)

Offline Juan R

• Consul
Ptolemy III?
« on: July 23, 2019, 02:41:49 pm »
Ae 21
6,1gr

I believe it is from Ptolemy III but cannot exactely find an equal one

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
Re: Ptolemy III?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 01:51:43 pm »
Ae 21
6,1gr

You may wish to have a look at the coin 'series' photos page of

www.ptolemybronze.com

where you will find this type easily along with many other types of Ptolemaic bronzes. 

PtolemAE

Offline Juan R

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 03:23:36 pm »
Quote from: PtolemAE on July 24, 2019, 01:51:43 pm
Ae 21
6,1gr

You may wish to have a look at the coin 'series' photos page of

www.ptolemybronze.com

where you will find this type easily along with many other types of Ptolemaic bronzes.  

PtolemAE

Hi PtolemAE, I always have a look at your site, it is the most usefull I know for ID AE Ptolemy coins, take my world for it.
This time I haven't been able to ID this coin with Zeus , no control simbol on left side and what seems to be an A between eagle's legs,  by way of contrast I found similar one with just a difference, it has Alexander's face instead of Zeus portrait.

Any help will be really apreciated, I will also post another Ptolemy coin with Alexander's head and a control simbol on left side, which I haven't found in your site neither.

Thanks so much

Offline zoser

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 03:19:11 pm »
hi Juan, it seems it is Ptolemy II, Svoronos 441.
On the site that PtolemAE said it seems there is a mistake, at it says there is a D between legs, but on Acsearch and SNG Cop it says there is an  :Greek_Delta: instead, that is why you didn´t find it.

King regards

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2019, 09:20:58 pm »
hi Juan, it seems it is Ptolemy II, Svoronos 441.
On the site that PtolemAE said it seems there is a mistake, at it says there is a D between legs, but on Acsearch and SNG Cop it says there is an  :Greek_Delta: instead, that is why you didn´t find it.

King regards

D = DELTA

Maybe that confused someone.  The site covers the major design varieties and assumes folks can handle the small obvious stuff like this where there are many minor variants that differ only trivially by the letter or monogram.  Latin alphabet shorthand for some Greek letters and monograms.

PtolemAE

Offline Juan R

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 03:42:34 am »
Good morning Zoser and PtolemAE, thanks so much.
PtolemAE, you are right, I got confused cause I  know almost nothing about Greek alphabet, but thanks to all of you I am learning.

King regards

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 03:41:26 pm »
Good morning Zoser and PtolemAE, thanks so much.
PtolemAE, you are right, I got confused cause I  know almost nothing about Greek alphabet, but thanks to all of you I am learning.

King regards

Impossible to imagine how to collect Greek coins without at least some passing familiarity with the Greek alphabet and the English equivalent letters.  Most are simple (alpha = a, beta = b, etc.) but others may not be.  Simple cross-ref tables are very easy to find on the web so at least the words on the coins can be read.  Here's one:

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.maicar.com%2FGML%2F000Images%2Faim%2Falphabet.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.maicar.com%2FGML%2FAlphabet.html&docid=mRQ3nbO0MTktBM&tbnid=q68sA1pseJCkUM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwiQhNOOgvTjAhUPITQIHUnZCMUQMwiEASgKMAo..i&w=644&h=1065&bih=703&biw=1835&q=greek%20alphabet&ved=0ahUKEwiQhNOOgvTjAhUPITQIHUnZCMUQMwiEASgKMAo&iact=mrc&uact=8

(cut/paste the link into your browser in one chunk).  This kind of information is indispensable to read ruler names, city names, etc.  Also some coins have dates which are written as combinations of Greek letters playing the roles of numerals.

There are also some tools here to allow folks to insert Greek letters into their posts.

PtolemAE

All coins are guaranteed for eternity