Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 9 or 34  (Read 1489 times)

Offline the10thlegion

• Consul
9 or 34
« on: July 07, 2019, 06:07:40 am »
Was doing some online research which led to a discussion and now I'm confused.

There was a coin for sale listed as RIC ii 9. The person I was talking to corrected me and said it was 34.

This caused me to dig around. For this post I will use images from the same dealer's web site on their sold coins (CNG). Some are listed as RIC 9 and others as RIC 34 while both reference RSC 268. I do have RSC and it cross references back to RIC 9

Someone shared a link to RIC online and what I'm seeing is RIC 9.

Where is RIC 34 coming from? ...  cuz I'm really lost now. I thought I knew what I was doing but now not so sure.

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: 9 or 34
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 06:38:54 am »

RIC II 9, 1st edition = RIC II 34, 2nd edition.

Pekka K

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: 9 or 34
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 07:59:26 am »
Pekka is correct.  Sometimes dealers don't update to the new RIC number. If you're looking at older auctions or resources it will still be the old reference number.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity