Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Simon Bendall has died  (Read 2301 times)

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Simon Bendall has died
« on: July 01, 2019, 04:09:10 pm »
I've just learned that Simon Bendall, Byzantinist extraordinaire, has died.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Simon Bendall has died
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 05:47:42 pm »
That’s unfortunate, RIP Simon.

Did they ever catch the crooks who stole part of his collection?

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 10:43:36 am »
Memory eternal

Offline OldMoney

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • My Site! www.oldmoney.com.au
    • Walter Holt's Old Money
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 11:15:16 am »
Sad news.
I had the pleasure of meeting with him a number of times whenever I
visited London, and spent time discussing coins with him when he visited
Sydney. He also attended the local ancient coin club, ASAN, sharing some
of his immense knowledge. A luminary lost. A glass of red will be raised in
his honour. R.I.P.

- Walter
Coins of Ephesus
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/ephesuscoins
Walter Holt's Old Money - Ancient Coins
https://www.oldmoney.com.au
Sydney, Australia

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 01:16:07 pm »
I never met him, but I greatly appreciate the body of work he had given us.  I am sorry I won't have the chance to meet him.

https://muenzenwoche.de/whoswho/bendall-simon/
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline vercingetorix

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Surrendered at Alesia.Bleah...
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 04:12:39 am »
I met him last in 2015 at the International Numismatic Congress in Taormina. The Italians referred to him as "Professore" and although approaching 80 his mind was as good as ever. We should be thankful for his contribution to Byzantine numismatics in general and Late Byzantine numismatics in particular.
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes...

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 08:36:30 pm »
DOC has just launched a new online catalog and of course Simon Bendall was mentioned.

Bendall, Simon (1937–2019)

Scholar, dealer. and collector, the leading expert on late Byzantine coins. Worked at Spink’s between 1965 and 1967, then at Baldwin’s for twenty years, until 1987, when he moved to California a joined the staff of Bruce McNall at Numismatics Fine Arts (NFA) in Los Angeles. On his return to London two years later, he was briefly an independent coin dealer and mostly a consultant for museums, auction houses, and collectors. He rejoined his first employer, Spink’s, between 2006 until his retirement in 2010. He authored more than 200 articles, of which a selection of reprints is being prepared by I. Vecchi and Eleni Lianta. He published the pioneering The Billon Trachea of Michael VIII, 1258–1282 (1974) and The Later Palaeologan Coinage, 1282–1453 (1979), with drawings by Peter Donald; the catalogue of his collection, A Private Collection of Palaeologan Coins (1988); Byzantine Weights: An Introduction (1996), the only introduction currently available; and an updated introduction to the Coinage of the Empire of Trebizond (2015). He wrote the late Byzantine section in David Sear’s Byzantine Coins and Their Values (2nd ed., 1987). His collection was stolen in 1989 when he was working with NFA. He recovered a part, which he sold to the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford, in 1999, and which makes up the core of E. Lianta’s Late Byzantine Coins 1204–1453 in the Ashmolean Museum University of Oxford (2009). His recent acquisitions were also stolen from his London residence in 2018.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity