Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Very Small, Crude Archelaus Prutah  (Read 1052 times)

Online v-drome

• Caesar
Very Small, Crude Archelaus Prutah
« on: June 24, 2019, 05:39:53 pm »
Hi, all.  Here is a very small coin of Herod Archelaus from Caesarea Maritima.  I thought it might be a "minima", however, the actual size of the helmet and grapes is the same size as a normal coin, and only the flan is very small and thin.  The coin is very light, for the type, and possibly water-worn, so I think it may just be a very crudely engraved die, rather than a proper minima.  Any opinions would be welcome.   Thanks, V-drome

BCC J36
Judaea - AE Prutah? (or half-prutah)
Caesarea Maritima
Herod Archelaus 4BCE - 6CE
Mint of Jerusalem
Obv:[HPω∆OY]
Bunch of grapes, vine leaf to left.
Rev:[EΘNAPXOY]
Tall military helmet, facing.
Very worn with extremely crude engraving,
15mm. 1.15gm. Axis:0
Hendin III 505

Here is a comparison of the small coin with a normal prutah to scale.
Bottom coin is 17mm. and 2.33gm.
(click for larger pic)

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Re: Very Small, Crude Archelaus Prutah
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 09:39:17 pm »
It can really be hard to distinguish crude, light coins from Minimas sometimes, especially with Caesarean provenance!

I have never seen an Archelaus minima before, but that certainly does not mean they may not exist. However, I am aware of crude Archelaus coins, though they are relatively rare in my experience. I have attached an example (https://agoraauctions.com/listing/viewdetail/37543/0/archive; 1.06 g) and note that TJC: 73e, 73f are crude and light too (1.00 g and 0.80 g respectively).
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Online v-drome

• Caesar
Re: Very Small, Crude Archelaus Prutah
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 09:49:34 pm »
Thank you, Aarmale.  Very interesting, and nice to hear from you again!

Best regards, Jimi

All coins are guaranteed for eternity