Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A potential new Acheloios? Part 2  (Read 1216 times)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
A potential new Acheloios? Part 2
« on: June 20, 2019, 07:49:26 am »
Here is the second coin I stumbled upon last night.  I see indications of a beard on the bull, which, combined with the club and Herakles obverse, are indicative of Acheloios.  

18mm, 3.1g

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: A potential new Acheloios? Part 2
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 08:37:41 am »
That could be it!

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 08:43:45 pm »
Hi Nick,

I don't think it is a MFB. To me, it looks like a regular bull with a die break or some sort of striking defect.

I felt that way before reading shanxi's post. After reading his post and following the links, it only further convinced me.

Meepzorp

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 05:07:06 am »
… That could be it! ...
I believe it not only could, but certainly is  :) : https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?term=odrys+%28bul+stier%29+-boy+-choice&category=1&en=1&de=1&fr=1&it=1&es=1&ot=1&images=1&thesaurus=1&order=1&currency=usd&company=

Additionally to that the seller with this special background on the pictures mostly offers coins from the Balkans, where the Odrysians lived.

Regards

Altamura

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 10:57:31 am »
Yes, I agree.  I wonder if it is a die break? If not, it would not be the first time a man-faced bull changed into a regular bull after an inaugural issue.  But probably a die break or corrosion.

Offline shanxi

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 11:25:00 am »
There is another example with a broader face, but IMHO still a regular bull.

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3293713

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 11:29:55 am »
That one looks very similar to mine, and I agree a regular bull.  Oh well.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2019, 08:31:43 am »
Hi Nick,

It happens to all of us. Die breaks can play tricks on the mind. If you remember, it recently happened to me.

I recently purchased a Campania MFB coin thinking there was an animal below the MFB. It turned out to be a die break creating the illusion of an animal.

This is the coin I am referring to (scroll down, fourth coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/gi_camp_susar_pt01.htm

The only reason I bid on that coin is because I thought there was an animal below the MFB. It turned out that the "animal" was just a die break creating an illusion. In fact, if I remember correctly, it was you who pointed it out to me.

However, after receiving the coin (which the dealer thought was a common Neapolis coin) and researching it, it turned out to be a rare or very rare Suessa Aurunca coin. The dealer attributed it to the wrong city, and he had no idea what the obverse symbol was. Using your MSP MFB reference book, and with advice from you, I figured out that the obverse symbol is a thunderbolt, and I attributed it to the correct city.

it turned out to a rare coin after all, but in a roundabout way. I sort of took to long and winding road to that destination. You never know where these things are going to lead.

So, yes, die breaks can play tricks on the mind.

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity