Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Another contemporary imitation of tetarteron  (Read 2121 times)

Offline Byzantofil

• Consul
Another contemporary imitation of tetarteron
« on: June 11, 2019, 03:19:59 am »
Another contemporary imitation of tetarteron

Among the cheap Byzantine copper I came across an entertaining imitation of tetarteron. Honestly, it is difficult to identify a sample taken for copying, most likely, it is a kind of collected image based on the tetarterons of Alexius I Comnenus, and possibly, Manuel Comnenus. "Tetarteron" minted on a light thin copper flan, it seems like cut off from the copper sheet.

Offline joma-tk

• Caesar
Re: Another contemporary imitation of tetarteron
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 03:55:46 am »
This is a crusaders coin, Edessa mint

tk

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 07:05:16 pm »
Nice coins, interesting design.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Byzantofil

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 03:35:44 am »
Many thanks to joma-tk!

How did you know that this is the crusaders imitation minted in Edessa? Is this type of coin been cataloged, or  the attribution just a version?
Here, by the way, is another similar sample, a bit larger, approximately 22 mm. in diameter:

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 09:34:50 am »
In the eastern Roman empire these coins circulated in the Greek part, they were officially minted during the reigns of Alexius I to Alexius IV. Imitations have been found of these coins but minted in the 13th century, they were important to local economies, they tended to use the simpler designs of rulers who had died decades before. To determine what was original and what was imitation the design will be cruder and sometimes weights will differ from the original issue, mostly less. You will not find overstruck tetartera ( Except Alexius I, he minted on top of anonymous follies that were still in circulation.) , they continued to circulate that's how coins last officially minted decades earlier could be imitated.

Here is a gallery I created for imitation tetartera, I have not updated it in a while.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=6572

I would not call the crusader coin from Edessa an imitation because it is a different style. The way they surmised it was from  Edessa was more than likely based on site finds and maybe some written knowledge.

Here is a cool imitation that I bought from Cyprus, it was found there. An imitation of an Alexius Coin.

ALEXIUS AE TETARTERON S-1929 DOC 38 CLBC 2.4.5 Imitation
OBV Bust of Christ, bearded and nimbate, wearing tunic and kolobion; holds gospels open in l. hand. Pellet in each limb of nimbus cross.

REV. Bust facing wearing stemma, divitision, and chlamys; holds in r. hand scepter cruciger, and in l. Globus cruciger.

Size 20mm

Weight 2.5gm

DOC lists 9 examples with weight s running from 1.82gm to 5.10gm and size from 18mm to 22mm ( DOC was written before imitations were proven so I am uncertain if these figures include imitations)

This is a strange example, Alexius side fits the norm a bit cruder but with good detail, the Christ side lacks the book and Christ's blessing. Imitations of this particular type of coin were created well into the 13th century. This coin was a very recent find in Paphos Cyprus.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Byzantofil

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 05:13:51 pm »
It all very closer in style, indeed.
One way or another, but imitations from Paphos in the 13th century could be minted during the crusaders. Not Isaac the Usurper, of course.

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 05:30:19 pm »
I think more than likely not, that's just where the coin was found but Cyprus was one way to get to the Crusades. It could have easily been brought from Greece by a traveler/crusader.

I do believe official issues of Alexius came  from a Cyprus mint. Mainly because they seem to be found only there. I am uncertain if any were found in Corinth or Athens excavations. Iwas wrong, according to Hendy 30plus examples are found at these sites.

1933D ALEXIUS 1/2 TETARTERON ? SBCV-1933 DOC43 CLBC 2.4.9

OBV Full Length figure of Christ bearded and nimbate wearing tunic and kolobion; holds Gospels in l. hand.

REV Full length figure of Emperor wearing stemma, divitision, and wearing jeweled loros of simplified type; holds in r hand labarum on long shaft and in l. gl.cr.

Size 21/12mm

Weight 1.3gm

This coin and S-1934 I believe were minted in Cyprus, these coins were once very rare but for a brief period of time they were hitting the market much more frequently. I managed to acquire a few nice examples. Most of these coins were coming from Cyprus dealers. Interesting point, these coin sizes in my collection represent 1gm to 5 gm, this coin is the lightest and in the best condition. Even though it is on a small flan the coin I would have to say this is the finest example known. Again my knowledge of how many were found in Greece makes them unlikely as to being minted in Cyprus.

DOC Lists 1 example not in their collection. Weight 2.44gm and size 18mm

I have several examples with weights from 1.3 gm to 5gm, Sommer in his catalog lists this coin as a half tetarteron? and SBCV lists it as a full tetarteron.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity