Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman Coin, uncleaned  (Read 428 times)

Nicolas F

Roman Coin, uncleaned
« on: June 08, 2019, 06:57:31 pm »
First time posting here so cheers to all.

I have an Uncleaned coin, well must of been cleaned but has a lot of green oxydation on it. I bought it as a Carthaginian coin,because you could clearly make out the elephant on one side, right away i thought Hannibal Barca and wanted to get it for my Brother who loves Roman history and who has a PHD in Military History.
I went back home and did some research and it seems i was quite wrong and the seller also.
The backside has a depiction of Aeneas fleeing Troy carrying his father Anchise on his left shoulder and the Palladium in his right hand.
The frontside depicts and elephant with a snake at his feet, i found that the Elephant  crushing the snake means victory of good over evil.
The size seems too large to be silver so i am leaning towards a Bronze coin. The diameter is not perfect but is between 31MM and 33MM.
Having a hard time finding any info on the net about this one. Could any of you chime in on this one.
Pictures to come shortly. Thanks in advance

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
Re: Roman Coin, uncleaned
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 12:10:09 am »
The item you are describing is not a real coin. 
The "dealer" who told you it  was Carthaginian either does not know anything about identifying very popular ancient coins or is not an honest person.
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Nicolas F

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 05:59:55 am »
Hello PMah.

Thanks for the quick reply, it is possible. I will still post a few pictures today, i got rid of some of the oxydation yesterday.

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 06:07:51 am »

Nicolas F

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 09:48:43 am »
[REMOVED BY ADMIN.  DO NOT LINK TO PHOTOS HERE.  UPLOAD THEM TO THE DISCUSSION.]

Offline Tacitus

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 10:33:15 am »
I agree.  To me it looks like a cast fantasy piece and not a struck coin.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 05:52:13 pm »
Junk fake.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS