Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Rare early Minerva denarius of Domitian  (Read 499 times)

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
Rare early Minerva denarius of Domitian
« on: June 06, 2019, 01:17:13 pm »

This coin is a group 3 denarius issued in 81 CE. Group 2 denarii are very rare and group 3 are not much more common. While the reverse depicts an early Minerva it is not the first appearance of Minerva on a coin of Domitian. This coin (RIC 28) and a coin with a different obverse legend (RIC 27) were very early appearances of Minerva on a coin of Domitian as Augustus rather than as Caesar. (In order to determine the first appearance of Minerva on coins of Domitian as Augustus one would have to be certain of the order of the 4 groups of precious metal coinage. While the current order of the groups may be correct, I believe there is more work to be done) Both of these coins show Minerva advancing with spear and shield. This type was was continued under Domitian as Augustus after being used under Titus with Domitian as Caesar. RIC 29 and 30 introduce a new Minerva (with Victory and spear). As it is with RIC 27 and 28, the only difference between these coins is a variation in the obverse legend. The 4 dominant Minerva types would not emerge until the second issue of 83 CE.

I very much enjoy studying the 4 groups of 81 CE. All of the coins in these groups were struck in the last few months of 81 CE and I am happy to add another of these early coins of Domitian as Augustus to my collection.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-155765

All coins are guaranteed for eternity