Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: FTP freeware recommendation?  (Read 3432 times)

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
FTP freeware recommendation?
« on: November 06, 2018, 01:54:45 pm »
When Forvm changed their security requirements for FTP uploads, I lost the ability to upload to my Forvm website since the Core FTP program I was using did not meet the new requirements.  I decided at that time that I was not up to learning new software and it would be easier just to walk away from the site I had been maintaining for twenty years.  Now I am regretting the decision as I discover errors on pages that I would like to correct but cannot.  Every so often I get the urge to write a new page but have used this software issue as an excuse not to do anything. 
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/
Can anyone recommend a simple FTP freeware program that will allow access to my Forvm website?  I am not interested in paying big money for complicated programs with all the bells and whistles but just want to be able to upload my plain HTML pages to the space so kindly provided by Joe.  I know there are other providers that I could use that have less stringent requirements but I have moved my pages three times since starting in 1997 (Geocities - Yahoo - Ancients.info - Forvm) and am not interested in doing that again now that there are so many online resources that make my dinosaur level pages less than they once were.  If there is no program that will do what I am wishing, I would be interested in hearing any other solution to this that I might not have considered.  I am not ready to learn complicated new programs and do not understand the requirements that have locked me out.  Anyone willing to discuss this here or by private message will be most appreciated.

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: FTP freeware recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 03:39:30 pm »
I use FTP Freeware Filezilla for uploading changes to my web site on 1&1 hosting service.
You would have to check with Joe if it is compatible with Forum and codes and password to do so.
I use Frontpage 2003 to create and maintain my web site.
PeteB

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 06:12:45 pm »
I have always used Filezilla and it works a treat under the new regime. In any case, it is recommended by Sorin.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 07:28:07 pm »
Thank you both.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 01:35:33 am »
Hi doug,

I also use Filezilla. It's free and it works. It is compatible with Forum.

Today, I just started working on my website again after 13 months of inactivity.

Meepzorp

Offline Gil-galad

• Praetorian
    • Ancient Whitesheet
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 05:48:25 pm »
When I talked to Simon after the switch, he recommended me to use FileZilla and so that's what I'm using. I've been using it for a few months now with few issues or problems.

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 10:18:17 am »
Thanks to all but I am still unable to connect using Filezilla.  It has been a week since my last note to the Forvm webmaster so I have idea if I will be online again or not.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 12:05:58 pm »
Hi doug,

What exactly is the problem? Be specific.

Sometimes, I encounter technical glitches when connecting to Joe's server using Filezilla. Maybe I can help you.

One minor technical glitch I always encounter every time I try to connect to Joe's server is that the "port #" that was provided to me by the webmaster will never work on the first connection attempt. I must first try to connect using the default port #, which I think is 21 (but I am not 100% sure). Filezilla makes 2 attempts (20 seconds each) using that port #. Of course, they both fail. Then (and only then), I enter the port # that was provided to me by the webmaster. It connects faster than you can blink your eye. If you enter the proper port # on the first attempt, it will never work. You must first enter the wrong port #, and then enter the proper port #. I don't know why it does that, but it does it 100% of the time. By the way, I discovered that little "trick" one day by trial and error, mostly out of frustration.

Is this the problem you are encountering?

Let me know if this solves the problem. :)

Meepzorp

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 07:17:27 pm »
Thank you.  I knew the problem was simple but I was too simple.  I was told the host was forumancientcoins.com but you have to put ftps:// before that as well as require implicit on the setup page.  Is there a way to get it to remember all those boxes so they do not have to be filled every time?

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2018, 07:03:45 am »
Just click on "file" and then "site manager" and fill in the boxes. Then when connecting click the icon just below "file".
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2019, 08:03:54 pm »
For wildwinds I use WinSCP. It's free.
The "synchronise" function (to check whether files on your PC are also on the server and upload any that are missing) is wonderful. My bi-monthly additions sessions are a helluva lot quicker, I just use synchronise on e.g. the /ric/ folder and it checks which files need uploading.
https://winscp.net/

I have not warmed to Filezilla since they issued a version several years ago which deliberately included spyware.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity