Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Question on Augustus Provincial  (Read 1977 times)

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
Question on Augustus Provincial
« on: May 23, 2019, 11:25:08 pm »
I bought this coin from Forum a while ago, but thought I might ask a question on the board if I might. As the description notes, there has been some debate over attribution, but that Joe believes it to be Augustus. In some ways, this is one of the attractions of the coin for me: having a coin with a whiff of mystery has something to be said for it. I'm very comfortable with the Augustus attribution, predominantly because of Joe's expertise, but also because I believe in the numismatic version of Occam's Razor.

David Sear also attributes it to Augustus, although he puts it during the Octavian period. The reason for the question is that Wildwinds (which I also rely upon a great deal) has it listed under Sosius. This is not an effort to get an internet battle going (really), but I wondered what the counter-arguments were for a different attribution.

Thanks much.

Best,
Larry

Offline Tacitus

• Caesar
Re: Question on Augustus Provincial
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 09:49:55 am »
Your coin is almost certainly Gaius Sosius.    I am not sure from the picture you posted, but there should be a Q under the altar about halfway to the bottom of the coin.  This is a symbol of a Questor.   

From CNG
ASIA MINOR, Uncertain. Gaius Sosius(?). Circa 39 BC. Æ  Bare head right / Fiscus, sella, quaestoria and hasta; Q below. RPC I 5409; Laffaille 324; FITA p. 13.

This issue has previously been attributed to a Macedonian mint with identification of the portrait as Brutus (Friedlander) or Caesar (Grant). RPC presents a case for a Cilician or Syrian origin, supported by find data, with a suggestion that the portrait is Octavian. Issues of similar portrait style, perhaps by the same engraver, include the Princeps Felix coinage, RPC 4082-3, from Cilicia.

It is possible that both sets of Cilician or Syrian issues portray Sosius, a leading general of Mark Antony. Sosius was quaestor (symbolized on this coinage with a Q and the symbols of the office) in 39 BC. The island of Zacynthus, a fleet station of Antony's, issued coins in the name of C SOSIVS Q (RPC 1290), C SOSIVS IMP (RPC 1291), C SOSIVS COS DESIG (RPC 1292), and C SOSIVS COS (RPC 1293). The first of these issues coincides with the dating of this coin. Note that both include the "Q" for questor.

Sosius was governor of Syria in 38 BC. Antony supported Herod the Great against his rival Antigonus, and Josephus describes how Sosius commanded the Roman forces in support of Herod's claim. Sosius captured the island and town of Aradus in 38 BC and Jerusalem in July of 37 BC, for which he was acclaimed Imperator. Josephus notes that he was about to allow the soldiers to loot the fallen city and slay its inhabitants, when Herod intervened. Herod asked if the Romans, by emptying the city of money and men, had a mind to leave him to become king of a desert and paid the troops a donative instead, with Sosius himself receiving a "most royal bounty". Sosius called the defeated king the feminine name "Antigona" and imprisoned him for Antony to later execute.

In 36 BC, Sosius assisted Octavian and Agrippa against Sextus Pompey and afterward probably stayed in Rome, where he celebrated a triumph in 34 BC and was consul along with Domitius Ahenobarbus in 32 BC. During his consulship, he rebuilt the Temple of Apollo, which had been constructed in 431 BC. He introduced a measure in the Senate to censure Octavian, but this was vetoed by a tribune. As war between Octavian and Antony approached, Sosius fled Octavian and Rome along with some 300 senators. At Actium in 31 BC, Sosius commanded the left wing of Antony's naval forces. This wing of heavy ships entered the battle first, but was overwhelmed by the smaller, faster ships of Agrippa, commander of Octavian's fleet. Meanwhile, Cleopatra and Antony escaped through the opening created by the movement. Sosius fought on, eventually surrendered, and was spared by Octavian.

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 11:38:22 am »
Thanks, Tacitus. Excellent summary!
PeteB

Offline Tacitus

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 08:13:15 pm »
So in this case, it is from the Octavian period (though not of Octavian).
And Joe was wrong.  I think I earned some Forum cash for that!

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 01:07:35 am »
Thanks much. I hope that I haven't started trouble here 😊
Best
Larry

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 02:39:07 am »
A little bit is written about this type in the RPC Consolidated supplement: https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/supp/rpc_cons_supp_1-3.pdf#page=194&zoom=auto,-142,784
It seems that the origin of these coins is in northern Turkey.

Regards

Altamura

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 07:17:46 am »
Here is Forum's write up:

"The mint, the quaestor who struck this type, and even the identity of the person in the portrait remain uncertain. The type has previously been attributed to Macedonia and the portrait identified as Brutus (Friedlander) or Caesar (Grant). David Sear notes the type has never been found in Macedonia. Finds point to Syria or Anatolia. It is possible that the type was issued, with his own portrait, by Sosius, a general under Marc Antony who was quaestor in 39 B.C. Much more likely, however, the portrait is of Augustus."

While I may revise it in the future, I have been using this write up for quite a while now and I still feel comfortable with what I have written.  
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity